Railroad Forums 

• WHERE ARE ALL THE RS-3'S?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#12813  by dsrc512

Litchfield & Madison 303, later CNW and then Michigan Northern 1554 is still owned by Peter Smykla of Pine Bluff, Arkansas, I believe. He purchased the short hood from an ex-D&H RS-3 on the Louisiana Midland when the unit was scrapped. His intention was to remove the nose chopped by MIGN and install the conventional hood.

Alex Huff

#12966  by missthealcos

ENR3870 wrote:Alberni Pacific RS3 8427 is the last surviving Canadian Pacific RS3. CP chopped the nose in the 1970's and sold the 8427 to the Comox Logging and Railway Co.(Fletcher Challenge) in 1980, CL&R ended rail operations in 1984(truck operations ended a couple months later) and the 8427 was preserved at Ladysmith, BC. The Ladysmith Historical Railway Society disbanded years later and the 8427 went to the Alberni Pacific in Port Alberni. The 8427 is wearing the CL&R orange paint job but the plan is to restore the high hood and repaint it to CPR Maroon and Grey. Incidently, the RS3 at the West Coast Railway Association in Squamish, BC also came from the Comox Logging and Railway Co. It's a former D&H RS3, number 4097. Comox Logging and Railway Co. also had a Baldwin VO-1000, number 7128. It was preserved as well, but was too far gone, and was cut up for scrap in 1994.
The 4097 at Squamish was cut up last year(typical of this organization, no real concern for preservation /restoration whatsoever) It was cosmetically in fairly good shape, but was not operational. The main generator went into the PGE RSC3. This unit was also chopnosed, and had the late long hood(with carbody filters) from the RSC3, with the RSC recieving the early one from 4097, to return it to as built appearance. This was done in the mid 80's. As far as I know pretty much all of the 4097 went to scrap, when it could have easily been saved for use in other RS-3 projects. there was also a large assortment of RS-3 parts there, which had been scavenged from the BCR units left on the deadline after 1985, from hood doors to control stands, you name it, prob enough to help rebuild several stripped units. I am told this was all sent to the scrapper as well!!!!

Incedentally, the short hood from PGE/BCR RS-3 570 was saved by one of the former mech. guys at the "museum", for the eventual restoration of the high short hood on 8427...haven't heard much about that in a while. He also has the rear section of the long hood from BCR RS-18 630, saved for possible future use in restoring the now chopped short hood on BCR RS-10 586(one of only 2 in existance) in the Prince George BC museum.

#14339  by ICFAN

The Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello Illinois has an ex Long Island RS-3 (1559). It is currently painted for the Illinois Central (704).

#63339  by GN 599

What about the LV 211? Some shortline in Ohio or somewhere has the BN 4056 less engine I think. I'd like to get my hands on that one.

#63580  by GN 599

Is the LV hammerhead thats still around the 211 or 311?

#63844  by CRHauf

GN599,

It is LV211. It is owned by the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum. More info on the engine can be found here:

http://www.rgvrrm.org/about_railroadequipment_lv211.htm

Until later,
Chris Hauf
Manager - Railroad Equipment
R&GV Railroad Museum
 #64667  by joydivision350125

Maryland and Delaware has three very nicely cared for ex-CR RS3ms, #1201, #1202, #1203.
 #64702  by H.F.Malone

If it has a Chevy engine in it, it's NOT a real RS-3!!!!!
 #64949  by Ol' Loco Guy

Those RS-3m's are abominations-&%$#^! pieces of $#@!. They remind me of a line from a Woody Allen movie-transplanting the brain of a postal worker into the body of a lesbian !!!!
 #67037  by jr

Hey guys, go easy on the RS-3m.

I volunteer at the R&GVRRM (home of LV 211), and from a historical standpoint, it would be great to have the original prime mover for that unit. However, the railroad had good reason for making the conversion. And in the case of the 211, I have a lot of respect for the craftsmanship that went into the final rebuild. Calling it an abomination is not really fair to the guys who remanufactured these units in DeWitt and Juniata. They did a quality job on the 211.

I can appreciate the desire to have a 244 prime mover in there, but keep in mind that if these units hadn't been repowered with 567s, they would almost certainly have gone to their great reward 25 years ago.

JR
 #67914  by snitkofj

The Albany Port rr RS-3 is either on loan to or owned by the NRHS chapter that has all the equpiment at the old colonie shops.

#68072  by Trackbolt

Did anyone mention Western Maryland RS-3 #198 at the B&O Museum in Baltimore. I don't think it is operable but it has been at the museum with the stack sealed for almost 20 years. I may be mistaken but I think it had a high short hood for what little passenger service the WM had.

Trackbolt
 #68396  by Chris France

Actaully the WM RS-3 that is at the B&O RR Museum is #195. I often see that people think it to be the 198 for some reason. 195 had only dynamic brakes and therefore does not have the high short hood.

#71467  by Paul

The RS-2 ar Campo, California is ex Kennecott Copper IIRC. it still has belt drive auxes. The top end on the engine is disassembled as it was serverely over heated. Also at Campo is an ex- Air Force MRS-1. I am putting in a remanufactured water pump on her tomorrow ( 11-27) and preping her for fire up. This 244 only has a total of 800 hours on her! After I get the MRS-1running, I believe I am supposed to do some sort of evaluation on the RS-2. I also know where a 12-244 block with good crank is.

#81811  by NHRDC121

Trackbolt.......
Am not sure whether you are referring to locomotives or a Swedish rock band, either way it is obvious you have not had the great good fortune to see AND hear an A-B-B-A set of ALCO FA's in run 8. NOW we're talkin'! :wink: