Railroad Forums 

• Railfan and Railroad

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1110719  by Noel Weaver

I haven't subscribed to any mangazines for a long time due to the uncertain service provided by the postal service and the practice of some magazines to send them "naked" without any protection from the elements. I have not found Railfan and Railroad for November in any of the local outlets here. I have wondered if Carstens has decided to fold this magazine? Their publication has been anything but certain and relaible. I have enjoyed this publication since its first issue and I have all of them today but to be realistic, I can get along without it too.
Noel Weaver
 #1110762  by Backshophoss

It seems both Railfan & Railroad,along with Railroad Model Craftsman have been having troubles at the retail level,
Since the closure of the local Hobby shop in sept,R&R AND RMC have arrived late in the month or not at all
at Hastings,1 of the few national/ regional chains that carry them,a newly opened Hobbytown USA on the west side
of town doesn't carry any of the Carstens titles yet.
All the Major titles are now pushing "Digital" content nowadays
 #1120584  by Noel Weaver

I guess this is it, my hobby shop on Saturday still had October but never received November and it is now mid December. I do not plan to try any more to find a November or by now December copy. Railfan/Railroad now goes the way of the original Railroad, Extra 2200 South and Ralroads Illustrated/CTC Board as well as a bunch of others as publications of the past and I will probably not buy any more of this unless a particular issue happens to show up with a feature that I am especially interested in. I am sorry to see this happen to a magazine that basically I enjoyed reading and still have every copy from Vol. 1, No. 1.
Noel Weaver
 #1120782  by charlie6017

It wouldn't be surprised if perhaps this issue was late due to complications from Hurricane
Sandy. I believe Carstens Publications' operations are in New Jersey. I did get my November issue
at the RIT TigerTracks train show in early December.

Charlie
 #1121408  by Noel Weaver

That might well be true but their publication schedule has not been reliable for some time now. A magazine with way too much nonesense and not enough good features then a close to two month lapse is of little value to me and I already am getting much too much printed reading material. I will still look at the cover and maybe the index and if some particular issue interests me I might invest but I am no longer going to buy it every month and try to maintain a continuous file of them. In time I might get a chance to rummage through the ones that I hve and save specific issues and donate or sell the rest of them, who knows. By the way Railpace is largely based in New Jersey too but they managed to get an issue out on schedule this month and every month too.
Noel Weaver
 #1121644  by Backshophoss

Distrabution happens at the printing plant where most of the shipments to the retail level are done.
Editing for each issue for production is done about 2 months ahead of issue date,then printed about 1
month before issue date. The delivery glitching started around Aug/Sept however.
 #1280890  by Backshophoss

Latest RMC is May 14 I've seen on the shelf at Barnes & Noble,running about 1.5 month late at retail level. :(
 #1280991  by RAS

The advertisers probably are not too happy with that performance. I see the June issue covers got posted on the website (finally), but I don't know of anyone who has received a June printed issue of any of the magazines yet.

RAS
 #1305787  by Backshophoss

After the sale of R+R and RMC to White River Productions,the Nov-Dec'14 issues have returned
to the retail locations like Barnes + Noble and Hastings.