Railroad Forums 

• Better NYC Access

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1274829  by Thomas

Suppose we had to choose between ARC and Seven Extension to Secaucus, which of the two would be the best way to meet future travel needs?
 #1274834  by DutchRailnut

neither one, as both are not happening.
 #1274979  by Thomas

DutchRailnut wrote:neither one, as both are not happening.
Which makes Gateway more likely to occur...
 #1275000  by ExCon90

You could prefer the 7 Extension on the grounds that it's better than nothing, and ARC was worth nothing from the beginning -- a good thing it got no further than it did. And Gateway is going to occur.
 #1275022  by DutchRailnut

The NY subway system will never go interstate, simply not happening and impossible to fund.
 #1275128  by Thomas

The NY subway system will never go interstate, simply not happening and impossible to fund.[/quote]

I do not think that the Seven Extension to Secaucus is impossible to fund.

You could prefer the 7 Extension on the grounds that it's better than nothing, and ARC was worth nothing from the beginning -- a good thing it got no further than it did. And Gateway is going to occur.[/quote]

So what you are saying is that, from worst to best, the order for enhanced trans-hudson capacity goes: Access to the Region's Core, Seven Subway Extension to Secaucus, New Jersey, Gateway?
 #1275146  by DutchRailnut

no you are saying that I am saying things, I said the two choices you gave are having zero chance at all...
 #1275484  by ExCon90

Right. ARC and 7 Extension are tied for zero, leaving Gateway the sole survivor.
 #1276747  by 4400Washboard

I don't mean to come across as dismissive or anything, but there is no chance of getting the 7 train into NJ

Theres no money and WHY? Why would you need expansion? You have a mix of NJTransit and PATH and you can connect to buses

As a regular 7 train commuter i never saw any use for expansion to NJ-Javits is useful because i can get to the NYAS quick but why NJ? You might as well build a separate subway line-it puts extra miles on the subway cars and i will literally scream if i see PANYNJ stickers on 7 trains 👿. The 7 train in my pinion is built for one use only: to connect commuters in Flushing and woodside and long island city to major manhattan transport hubs-not as another way for new jersians and new yorkers to cross borders. Use existing infrastructure
 #1276793  by morris&essex4ever

I agree with Dutch, neither would best meet future travel needs. None of the above is the right answer.