Railroad Forums 

• Official Cape Cod Central Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1252324  by KEN PATRICK

with all this happy talk, does anyone think the railroad will scrap the sandwich car? i'm sure the citizens would appreciate it. i have grown weary over the years of watching railroads duck their environmental responsibilities because they really are cheesy operations. it's time for the fra to mandate a clean-sweep month when all abandoned railcars and engines are scrapped, the charges for which borne by the offending railroads. ken patrick
 #1252661  by Cosmo

It is amazing to me how someone with the "insider expertise" he claims to have can know so little about what the FRA is for or what they do, but that's really a topic for another thread.
As Rocket J. Squirrel would say:
"And now here's something we hope you'll REALLY like!" :-D
 #1252764  by Trainman101

KEN PATRICK wrote:with all this happy talk, does anyone think the railroad will scrap the sandwich car? i'm sure the citizens would appreciate it. i have grown weary over the years of watching railroads duck their environmental responsibilities because they really are cheesy operations. it's time for the fra to mandate a clean-sweep month when all abandoned railcars and engines are scrapped, the charges for which borne by the offending railroads. ken patrick
Patrick why you no use caps?
 #1252767  by jaymac

Cosmo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 pm
As Rocket J. Squirrel would say:
"And now here's something we hope you'll REALLY like!"
Thanks, Cosmo! I now feel a semi-century younger!

And thanks to you, too, Ken! You help me feel considerably less curmudgeonly than I otherwise might.
 #1252812  by Rbts Stn

Trainman101 wrote:
KEN PATRICK wrote:with all this happy talk, does anyone think the railroad will scrap the sandwich car? i'm sure the citizens would appreciate it. i have grown weary over the years of watching railroads duck their environmental responsibilities because they really are cheesy operations. it's time for the fra to mandate a clean-sweep month when all abandoned railcars and engines are scrapped, the charges for which borne by the offending railroads. ken patrick
Patrick why you no use caps?
Silly Trainman, he's run out of them after using them all in his name!
 #1286802  by MaineCoonCat

Was just browsing "industrial real estate on cape cod" and came across this:
FOR SALE: Landmark Property. Two parcels (183 Iyannough Road, aka Rt. 28, and 0 Engine House Road). The building has a footprint measuring approx. 12,502 sq. ft. There's an additional 4,500sf in second floor space. Ceiling height ranges from 16' - 20'+. This is Historic Railroad Roundhouse- a rare find! The building was constructed in circa 1901. So much history- so many original details! The Railroad Roundhouse served as housing for railroad engines and as a place to turn the engines around at the end of the line.
The rest of the listing can be viewed at: http://www.capecommercialre.com/listing ... asp?Id=309

I'd imagine there's little hope of it ever being restored and preserved.. :(

Apologies if this is a bit off-topic.

DISCLAIMER: "Bolding"and italics were added by me. Other than that of a railroad enthusiast I have no interest, financial or otherwise in this real estate listing. No endorsement by anyone is to be construed from this post.
 #1286985  by Larry

If I had the money I would buy it yesterday. It needs some work but this was the place to go in the 70's and early 80's. The turn pit was used for volleyball and you could easily wait up to an hour or so to get into the place. Times have change though and the drinking age at 21 killed this place. Really nice inside (at least it was). If someone could buy it and spruce it up somewhat and if they could get commuter rail more often this would be a rocking place once again. If it is torn down it would be a great loss. Like I said, if I had some money I would buy it right away but I am on disability these days with no extra income.
 #1287022  by MickD

It's what has been Pufferbellies for
quite a few years now...I don't know
what the cuurent interior state is..
It was nice....There have been quite
a few incidents here in the past few years
that necessitated police involvment...
Hyannis itself has gotten a somewhat
notorius reputation in the off season..
Quite a few shootings and drug related crimes
in the Bearese Way and North Street areas..
I've heard it from a couple of their employees
that the RTA is very interested in this property
for a bus staging lot...