Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1270045  by BuddSilverliner269

Jesus Christ, Jack. What dont you understand? MBTA is not going to buy electrics or use electrics in there service. The only line that would be able to use them is the Providence service and I suspect that Mbta might do a round trip on various south side lines during the day instead of being confined to one line. Can we simply move on, MBTA, MARC or Septa is not getting any amtrak locomotives.
Last edited by BuddSilverliner269 on Wed May 14, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1270151  by mtuandrew

When all of the ACS-64s are in service, the toasters are toast, and the bananas will split. If SEPTA or anyone else had wanted used electric power, they would have seriously gone after NJT's ALP-44s. And, apparently Amtrak is charging an arm and a leg for electric (whether because of supply cost or because they want to limit load), because our insiders seem to think that NRPC's high power charges are keeping commuter systems from using electrics even when it would otherwise be in their best interest.

That said, I'd like to see whether Darth Sprinter will change some minds at SEPTA, MARC, SLE, et al.
 #1270230  by ApproachMedium

mtuandrew wrote:When all of the ACS-64s are in service, the toasters are toast, and the bananas will split. If SEPTA or anyone else had wanted used electric power, they would have seriously gone after NJT's ALP-44s. And, apparently Amtrak is charging an arm and a leg for electric (whether because of supply cost or because they want to limit load), because our insiders seem to think that NRPC's high power charges are keeping commuter systems from using electrics even when it would otherwise be in their best interest.

That said, I'd like to see whether Darth Sprinter will change some minds at SEPTA, MARC, SLE, et al.
Nobody is going after those ALP44s. They are dead old tech. If a railroad is going to buy something its going to be new. The only thing available for sale were the oldest of the fleet of ALP44s and there was only about 6 of them in that group that actually ran. The rest of the units were still under a lease contract agreement and they could not be sold or leased to another railroad which is why they all now sit in a deadline in port morris. On top of that the company that rebuilds the transformers for these engines is no longer doing them. If you burn a transformer up, well you are screwed. You would have to take it from another unit.
 #1270280  by CSX Conductor

jackintosh11 wrote:Why would they replace electrics with diesels? The MBTA should get electrics for their NEC route, and SLE also needs to. Electrics are better all around, except for the flexibility issue, in which case they should get dual modes if they are concerned.
As mentioned earlier, electric locomotives are NOT a good investment for the MBTA!!! There is not a single service on the MBTA that can be served 100% by an electric train......Not even the Providence Line. 1, Tracks 3&4 for Attleboro Station are not electrified 2) TF Greene & Wickford Jct are not wired either 3) The MBTA rotates sets to various lines throughout the day. Electrics would hinder a set's flexibility.

In regards to Shore Line East: M8's will be used for direct service to Old Saybrook and New London. At this time, the proposal is to use the current CDOT fleet for NHV-HFD service when CDOT operates to Hartford.
 #1270285  by srock1028

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Toaster718 wrote:Ryanov did u mean u saw the 607 at the Wilmington shops? Highly unlikely you saw the 607 at Bear.
Prolly just typed the wrong date...seeing as she is currently traveling down the Corridor as we type
Test Train just departed New York Penn in between A647 and A19 (which has a viewliner diner). Traffic Jam around Newark in 20 minutes with NEC and NJCL trains close to one another...
 #1270335  by Train538

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:#607 Extra with 3 amfleets and the American View bringing up the rear, out of Boston @ 920am following behind #2159 West down the Corridor...sorry for the late post, was working...passed us at 9:27 @ Ruggles station, Boston
He went through Southport, CT at around 12:25 which delayed my father's Metro-North GCT-bound train (no surprise there :razz:).

ThirdRail7, thanks for the roster information from May 10th. Any updates about the locos that had to be shopped last week?
 #1270345  by MBTA1016

Any sprinters going to run up towards the providence/Boston area tomorrow afternoon? I have a half day of school and want to use the afternoon to my advantage.
 #1270356  by ThirdRail7

Dookie wrote:I saw ACS 600 pulling 187 into Wilmington from NYP last night. Those LEDs lights are bright!
Annoyingly bright. I'm interested in knowing what crews that operate against them think.
Train538 wrote: ThirdRail7, thanks for the roster information from May 10th. Any updates about the locos that had to be shopped last week?
605 is still off the beam. I'm not sure how much longer this will drag on. There is an issue which i'm not comfortable posting. Hopefully, it is confined to the 605 and it may be the reason the other engines that have received their shakedown runs aren't in service yet. However, there should be an update tomorrow if not Saturday.
Mbta fan wrote:Any sprinters going to run up towards the providence/Boston area tomorrow afternoon? I have a half day of school and want to use the afternoon to my advantage.
Since they are banned from revenue service and the next scheduled test is next week with the 608, I'd say It is extremely unlikely.

Speaking of the 608, it is supposed to head to WAS from WIL tonight.
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Fri May 16, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.