Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1266516  by Train538

Great news everyone! Track 3 is now back in service between Southport (CP 248) and Bridgeport (CP 255). I presume there are speed restrictions for the rusty rails, right? Now someone needs to get rid of those pesky temporary platforms on track 1 and then my world will be bright and sunny :razz: .
 #1268443  by XBNSFer

If you mean the bridge plates, they were up because of the tie and rail replacement on the movable bridges at Westport and South Norwalk on track 3.
 #1291198  by NH2060

http://newcanaan.dailyvoice.com/news/me ... re-project" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fair use quote:
The end is in sight for Metro-North Railroad as work begins Sept. 6 on the final phase of a massive catenary wire replacement project on the New Haven Line in Connecticut.

Work will begin on two segments -- one from East Norwalk to Greens Farms and another from Bridgeport to Milford. The work will start simultaneously and involve the replacement of about 10.5 miles of catenary along track and in the Bridgeport Yard, Metro-North said in a release.
 #1291307  by MACTRAXX

NH2060: This project is replacing the last of the old New Haven "floating span" catenary
am I right? MACTRAXX
 #1291378  by NH2060

MACTRAXX wrote:NH2060: This project is replacing the last of the old New Haven "floating span" catenary
am I right? MACTRAXX
It is indeed. So get your photographs taken now before it's all taken down!
Patrick A. wrote:Spring of 2017 is the estimated completion date according to article, hopefully it holds.
By then it will have been 15+ years since CT began replacing the original 1907 "triangular" catenary and about 25 years since NY started replacing the Pelham-Port Chester section. It sure has taken long enough ;-)
 #1291394  by DutchRailnut

not much left to photograph the Floating spans are now floating stubs of scrap iron as 3 tracks are already cut off.
 #1291630  by Lackawanna565

Once and a great while someone will say that Metro North is destroying railroad history. But of course the old system is kept in place. They will have alot of problems.
 #1291633  by Tadman

DutchRailnut wrote:not much left to photograph the Floating spans are now floating stubs of scrap iron as 3 tracks are already cut off.
Not surprising they're scrapping it, but it reminds me - there's a guy in northern Indiana that has an entire yard full of ex-South Shore lattice catenary bridges from 1927. For nostalgia reasons. He also owns an ex-CTA steeple cab, once jokingly referred to here on the forum as the "secret steeple cab" (this was a hot topic maybe 2005-ish). What do you do with stuff like that???
 #1358279  by Saugatuck

Track 3 has been OOS through Westport and E Norwalk for a while and there doesn't seem to be much activity to reinstall the wire. Anyone have an idea on the ETA for this project?
 #1366425  by Saugatuck

Just curious if anyone knows where this project is at this point. Haven't seen any activity, not that that is conclusive evidence there is no progress.
Thanks, Saugs