Railroad Forums 

• PAR SD40-2s (MEC 600 series and 3400 series)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1260824  by MEC407

CN9634 wrote:PAR is looking to spend $60k to 70k a unit in bulk deals.
Unless they start looking at GEs, that price range is going to be difficult. SD40-2 prices are back on the rise after a period of bottoming out. The Class I roads have gone from dumping them like hot potatoes, to rebuilding them and adding more to their fleets. That has driven prices up.

Even when PAR bought the first batch of 600s a few years ago, they were quoted in ANR&P as paying $100K apiece for them. The going rate has gone up since then. I don't know where they're going to find any for $60-$70K, unless we're talking about units that are inoperable and need significant repairs in order to be brought back online.

Even the GE ship may have already sailed. Railroads like CN, PW, NERR have scooped up most of the decent Dash 8s that have become available in recent times. LTEX grabbed most of what was left over. I don't think there's much left to choose from. PAR should've been at the UP auctions when Dash 8-40Cs were selling for $60K apiece. You snooze, you lose.
 #1265050  by KSmitty

CN9634 wrote:I'm told them HELM units are leaving soon and they are looking to pick up 10 more SD40-2s.
Not going to exercise the buy out option on the HELM's?
 #1265057  by CN9634

Some behind-the-scenes paperwork stuff happened with them. But really, I'm not making it up. The HELMs should be leaving fairly soon.
 #1265694  by fogg1703

CN9634 wrote:I'm told them HELM units are leaving soon and they are looking to pick up 10 more SD40-2s.
More NS units? With the current crew shortage it would behoove NS to stave off a power shortage as well.
 #1267922  by CN9634

The HELMs are sidelined now. The 'behind-the-scenes' paperwork stuff was HELM got sold to First Union Rail (FURX) a division of Wells Fargo. They do not like to do business with Pan Am.

See here for more details
http://www.hlmx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1268034  by Backshophoss

So Wells Fargo just broke the leases for basicly not wanting to deal with PAR?
Was PAR on time wth lease payments? How much time was left on the lease?
Or was the lease a $$$ loser to them?
 #1268696  by newpylong

CN9634 wrote:The HELMs are sidelined now. The 'behind-the-scenes' paperwork stuff was HELM got sold to First Union Rail (FURX) a division of Wells Fargo. They do not like to do business with Pan Am.

See here for more details
http://www.hlmx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've heard a different story, and that Norfolk Southern is going to be purchasing a batch of 100 locomotives from First Union so they are not extending leases. Though I admit, your version seems more logical, but who knows.
 #1268735  by CN9634

Yes NS is picking up 100 more (They may have already picked up some). I heard more NS SD40-2s were coming but that was a bit ago. Not sure what's up now.
 #1268815  by gokeefe

Interesting to see NS picking up power at the expense of one of their business partners.
 #1269083  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:I doubt that thought came into play considering they can just give them right back to Pan Am, or alternative units.
Makes sense. Seemed strange to me to think that they would essentially poach against the fleet that feeds their own trains.
 #1269951  by newpylong

It would seem both claims are correct. They haven't paid their bill in a while and NS is getting a large order. Both contributed to the non-extension of the lease.
 #1449125  by Dick H

Here we go again. POSE, which has at least two of the 600's, 615 and 614, is in trouble somewhere west of Durham at 7:35AM.
Downeaster #680, which left Wells on time, is now being held at Durham and is one hour, 20 minutes late (as of 7:50AM)