Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1264564  by kevikens

I am not that familiar with NYC but from books and photos I have thought that since I will be in the city next week I would try to get pictures of Mott Haven and the Metro North traffic through this interlocking, and maybe some CSX freight. I will be taking the number 4 or 5 subway and then walking to this spot. Is it safe in mid day and what might see from this location? Thanks.
 #1264567  by DutchRailnut

yes its safe during day, you will see any and all Metro north Equipment passing trough
you won't see CSX at MO however.
 #1264571  by kevikens

Thanks. I should have asked this question, too. Is there a spot I could photograph from? I cannot tell from the google map if the bridge railings are too high for picture taking. Thanks again.
 #1264574  by DutchRailnut

the bridge has chain link fencing on it but there should be ways around it.
 #1264856  by runningwithscalpels

125 St is also good if you just want a variety of Metro North stuff, as is the tunnel portal at 97th & Park, although the fence there is kind of annoying.
 #1264885  by DutchRailnut

OK the question was about the 147 street bridge, not about what else...
 #1264933  by Rockingham Racer

He also asked this question:
kevikens wrote:Thanks. I should have asked this question, too. Is there a spot I could photograph from? I cannot tell from the google map if the bridge railings are too high for picture taking. Thanks again.
Is there something wrong with a little humor on this board?
 #1264934  by DutchRailnut

not until it improves..
 #1265052  by runningwithscalpels

Hey, I figured I'd give him a few more spots since he's clearly visiting /shrug.
 #1265107  by kevikens

Thanks for all the responses. I guess the reason why I asked about that bridge was that it looked like a place that railfans used to go to to get good pictures of the NYC. Mott Haven is in many older books though I get the impression that like many other older sites it is not today what it looked like back in the day. Also for some reason I thought freight trains might still use those tracks to get into the Bronx. Were those tracks ever used to bring freight into the city? Thanks again.
 #1265108  by RearOfSignal

Yes, they were once used, but the only time you'll ever see freight through MO now is the dead of night. CSX does occasionally use the wye.
 #1265680  by kevikens

I visited Mott Haven today. Great sky conditions. I saw lots of Cosmopolitans, Metropolitans and aardvarks. I lucked out with a work train, two yellow locomotives flat car and a caboose. That area actually seems nice and the spot is just one block from the number 6 stop. Thanks for your replies. Without them I probably would not have ventured to that spot. It must have been a wonderful place circa 1960 when NY Central New Haven ran over those rails.
 #1265867  by ExCon90

Especially when the 20th Century Limited was running. When the days were long enough to get it in daylight you could get some great shots of the obs car going away.