Railroad Forums 

• FEC Miami Port Line - Downtown Spur

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1208232  by Noel Weaver

I am not certain just when the first revenue moves will take place out of the Port of Miami but I will make it known here when such is to take place if I have the information.
Noel Weaver
 #1215971  by Noel Weaver

I understand a job has been established on Dodge Island (Port of Miami) Monday - Friday consisting of two engineers and one conductor, most likely two engines one on each end of a move, I guess they are chomping at the bit to get things started there. The first revenue moves will take place around Monday, September 23rd if they haven't already taken place.
Noel Weaver
 #1216007  by Gilbert B Norman

This Miami Herald material from last May reports that there had been a delay in completing the rail project to the Port of Miami, however, from reviewing the article, it would appear that the delay was occasioned by logistics from completion of the vehicular tunnel, and the dredging needed to accommodate post-PANAMAX vessels.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/21/3 ... ow-on.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief passage:

• The digging of the PortMiami tunnel has ended. The dredging of the port’s cargo harbor is about to begin. What’s still pending is the third leg of the port’s modernization program: a rail line so trains can transport cargo directly from the seaport to other major U.S. cities.
    That should begin to change within the next 45 days, PortMiami Director Bill Johnson said this week. That’s the schedule for starting delayed construction on the unfinished upgrade of the track within the port. Cargo trains likely will begin rolling on the track by October.
    The port track upgrade is part of a broader $46.9 million project to refurbish the Florida East Coast Railway track in Miami. The track from just outside the port to 72nd Street was recently upgraded, connecting it to the existing FECR track to Jacksonville and the Hialeah Railyard.
    The project is a partnership involving the port, FECR, the state and the federal government. Railway officials expressed satisfaction about the announcement.
    “The Florida East Coast Railway is pleased to be granted the authority to award a contract for the design and permitting for the on-port rail at PortMiami,” said Robert Ledoux, FECR senior vice president. FECR is providing its expertise in rail construction management for this important on-port rail project, he said. Johnson said the notice to proceed likely will go out to FECR in late July.
    The upgrade should have been finished months ago, but the project was delayed because of logistics related to tunnel excavation and shipping companies that were occupying the area where the track is to be rebuilt, Johnson said
It would appear from Mr. Weaver's immediate posting that the intent will be to run short and frequent shuttle trains to Hialeah yard. While possibly not the most efficient operation, it is the only reasonable and practical means to handle trains. Somehow, I don't think a train blocking Biscayne Blvd would be the greatest politics - especially if some 'biggie' missed a Miami Heat tipoff.

Finally, while there will still be many of 'em around, any of these container transfer operators that can be gotten off the roads is all the better. From my experiences in Downtown Miami (two trips in as many years), those 'concrete cowboys' are simply law unto themselves.
 #1219247  by Gilbert B Norman

While I have made my skepticism known with regards to the All Aboard Florida passenger train initiative, it is indeed pleasing to learn that rail service to the Port of Miami is about to be restored for the first time since 2005.

While the photos appearing with the Miami Herald article immediately linked are of a 'spit and polish' test train, I'm wondering what actual operations will resemble. It is my understanding that the trains will be short shuttles operating between the Port and the 'Hialeah' yard located to the West of KMIA (and well outside the municipal limits of Hialeah). Now what is of interest are the cars of this shuttle train part of a fixed consist that will require the containers to be transloaded again at Hialeah (as is the case now with the highway transfers) or will those cars (the TTX flats) be added to a mainline train and be gone to who knows where?

The efficiency and economies of avoiding a transload at Hialeah are certainly enticing, but on the other hand who is to say that there would always be an available supply of Flat Cars to be made up into the shuttle.

Enquiring mind wants to know.
 #1219514  by Noel Weaver

The FEC has a large fleet of railroad owned container flats, more than are currently being used most likely. I believe the plan is for some cars to go to Hialeah and other cars to go directly north in a train that might be assembled at Ojus where I have heard they will build another track or two for train make up. Maybe Fort Lauderdale is a possibility too but as I understand it, Fort Lauderdale is doing a boming business as it is and there is not a lot of room here for any expansion beyond the project at Port Everglades. I think the next few years are going to be very interesting on the Florida East Coast.
Noel Weaver
 #1225173  by Noel Weaver

Today, October 29th, 2013 marks the first official revenue train to the Port of Miami. I just reveived the following:
We are running our first revenue train for the Port of Miami. A train will leave Hialeah yard with 900 ft of flats to be loaded downtown before Noon. A 700 will pull the flats with 414 on the rear to pull the loads back to Hialeah.
Noel Weaver
 #1225427  by chrsjrcj

boatsmate wrote:Noel, any Idea what time this is happening?? I want to try to catch it on the web cam
I was watching ATCS Monitor and just (11:00 am Miami time) saw a train leave the mainline to go over to the Port.

ETA: Someone might just be using it as a wye. Headed back north. I might be down by the tracks in a little bit, so I'll post back if it's anything interesting (assuming it's running up to West Palm).
 #1225461  by Noel Weaver

chrsjrcj wrote:
boatsmate wrote:Noel, any Idea what time this is happening?? I want to try to catch it on the web cam
I was watching ATCS Monitor and just (11:00 am Miami time) saw a train leave the mainline to go over to the Port.

ETA: Someone might just be using it as a wye. Headed back north. I might be down by the tracks in a little bit, so I'll post back if it's anything interesting (assuming it's running up to West Palm).
As I read the original post it looked to me like the move was operated out of Hialeah and would return to Hialeah with the cars. I think the plan when they get much more capacity to load at the port is to run some cars back to Hialeah and some cars to OJUS where they will either be made up for a northbound or picked up by an existing northbound. There are a couple of jobs in West Palm again but I don't think using West Palm for these cars is in the plan but then things can always change.
Noel Weaver
 #1226549  by boatsmate

Any Idea if this is going to be a daily, every other day or weekly train?? I have seen empty cars on the lead (after the Bridge) and I have seen the bridge down but seem to miss the train itself.

Thanks for the information so far

Capt Bill
 #1226662  by Noel Weaver

boatsmate wrote:Any Idea if this is going to be a daily, every other day or weekly train?? I have seen empty cars on the lead (after the Bridge) and I have seen the bridge down but seem to miss the train itself.

Thanks for the information so far

Capt Bill
The job runs as required out of Hialeah. So far there is only one customer at the port because the yard is not finished and they have a very limited area in which to work. I don't know what your best bets are for a train. Once the yard is finished there will be much more traffic in and out of the port.
Noel Weaver
 #1234875  by boatsmate

There is a train on the Island (Dodge) with what appears to be 12 or so double stack containers and 3 bare tables. also only 1 Engine (red and White) can be seen. unsure which direction they are headed. inbound or outbound. can be seen on the Port Miami web cam (1244 est) Engine has not moved for a little while, and is pointed towards the container terminal. so if it s only one engine it will be a long hood forward reverse move.
 #1262598  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you Mr. Weaver, for locating that interview and sharing it with the Forum.

I find it interesting that Mr. Hertwig does not wish to 'step on toes' of any mode of transportation, but I have to wonder to what extent there will be air to rail traffic to be handled. I further have to question simply how much traffic there will be to transload the standard Crowley 20 foot container to 53 foot containers the rails are set to handle.

Finally, and again, I express concern for all East Coast ports of 'what if we throw a party .....and nobody came'. Somehow, I don't think the West Coast ports, along with BNSF and UP, will take lightly any significant diversion of post-PANAMAX traffic. We also need consider that if the political situation in Mexico should stabilize, the KCS will also be in the game through Puerto Lazaro Cardenas. Lest we forget, Jose the Longshoreman, is willing to work for a lot less than is his counterpart, Joe.