Railroad Forums 

• WNY&P West End

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#1248662  by RS-3

As reported in current "Railroads Illustrated", expect the west end of the WNY&P, between Falconer and Sagertown, to be shut down shortly. Traffic will be diverted to the B&P in Buffalo for delivery to the WNY&P at Salamanca. For better or worse, this is true.

RS-3
 #1248894  by map193

I looked on the STB website and I haven't seen anything regarding WNYP on there. Doesn't a motion have to be filed with the STB in order to "mothball" any section of line?
I also can not find "Railfan Illustrated" online and they seem to be the only publication that has reported this. Where did they get their information from? With the greatest respect, I'm not trying to say that this is made up, but it seems if it were going to happen some kind of press release would be issued by now.
 #1248931  by RS-3

OK, let me try this again. With the greatest respect, this is not a rumor. However you do not have to believe it. I do not speak for the WNY&P and I am not at liberty to say how, where or when the Railroads Illustrated news item was confirmed. This is not an abandonment, or possibly not even an embargo. Frankly I don't know what the official status of the line will be. Its a simple matter of traffic being rerouted and as far as I know they do not need anyone's permission to improve traffic flow. Any customers within the segment of track mention will be served if they need serving.

I'm simply posting this info in case anyone wants one last shot (for now) at this portion on the line. (But you better hurry.) Feel free to take this information however you please. If you like you can wait on an official press release from the railroad, should they decide to release one. As I said in the first post, this is true. Were it only a rumor I'd of said such. When the rumor first surfaced in December I too had very serious doubts. I'm just trying to give everyone a heads up. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

RS-3
 #1248938  by charlie6017

RS-3,

This is just my thought, for whatever it's worth. Personally, I believe you but I think what we
are looking for is more substance to back up the claim. You know how it is with railroads, believe
none of what you hear and half of what you see type of thing.

Charlie
 #1248943  by RS-3

Well Charlie (and everyone else), wait a few weeks and you'll have it. Till then like I said, take my word for it or not, I do not speak for the railroad.

RS-3
 #1249003  by blabey

No part of the WNYP is being embargoed. No part of the railroad is up for abandonment. WNYP will continue to serve all its customers. The rumors outlined above apparently relate to a plan that is being implemented that will reroute some WNYP traffic to achieve operating efficiencies and a significant improvements in the velocity of cars destined for the Farmer's Valley refinery..

Currently, Farmer's Valley traffic is routed via Conway (Pittsburgh) where it is forwarded on to Meadville in two NS locals, The locals don't operate daily. Once traffic is handed over to WNYP at Meadville, it moves east in the twice-weekly Falconer turn. At Falconer, another handoff is made to get the traffic to Olean. With the big NS Bellevue Yard coming on stream, it made sense to both NS and WNYP to modify routings and move the traffic in a daily Bellevue - Buffalo train. Since BPRR also operates daily service to Salamanca, it should be possible to cut several days out of current transit times. (By the way, before the NS leased the former PRR Buffalo line, traffic to Farmer's Valley moved over Buffalo. There is nothing new about the routing.)

Traffic for Corry, Union City, Saegertown, Oil City, Franklin and Rouseville will continue to move via Conway.
 #1249012  by mandealco

Many thanks Eugene, always great to hear from you guys. I'm sure the railroad(s) and those awesome Alco's are in great hands.
Cheers
Steve & Laura
 #1249019  by charlie6017

blabey wrote:No part of the WNYP is being embargoed. No part of the railroad is up for abandonment. WNYP will continue to serve all its customers. The rumors outlined above apparently relate to a plan that is being implemented that will reroute some WNYP traffic to achieve operating efficiencies and a significant improvements in the velocity of cars destined for the Farmer's Valley refinery..

Currently, Farmer's Valley traffic is routed via Conway (Pittsburgh) where it is forwarded on to Meadville in two NS locals, The locals don't operate daily. Once traffic is handed over to WNYP at Meadville, it moves east in the twice-weekly Falconer turn. At Falconer, another handoff is made to get the traffic to Olean. With the big NS Bellevue Yard coming on stream, it made sense to both NS and WNYP to modify routings and move the traffic in a daily Bellevue - Buffalo train. Since BPRR also operates daily service to Salamanca, it should be possible to cut several days out of current transit times. (By the way, before the NS leased the former PRR Buffalo line, traffic to Farmer's Valley moved over Buffalo. There is nothing new about the routing.)

Traffic for Corry, Union City, Saegertown, Oil City, Franklin and Rouseville will continue to move via Conway.
Thanks so much Mr. Blabey for setting the record straight!

Charlie
 #1249042  by map193

RS-3,
I apologize for my first comment that I posted on here. I misread what you wrote and it made me believe that the stretch from Falconer west into Pennsylvania was going to be mothballed, hence my comment about the STB filings.
Thank You
Marcus Pisa

Mr. Blabey,
Thank you for commenting on this matter. It is unfortunate that we won't see as many trains on the west end, but I see where it makes the most sense for all parties involved to route your trains that way. Any way to increase efficiency has to be a big help for you guys.
 #1252846  by oat324

So why not move these cars from Olean and connect with the B&P at Machias?
 #1252950  by JDFCLK96

oat324 wrote:So why not move these cars from Olean and connect with the B&P at Machias?
Because it's more efficient. WNYP already serves customers regularly between Olean and Falconer, thus already passing through Salamanca to make regular B&P interchange there. Runs up to Machias are infrequent, aren't they? Efficiency decreases when you start adding track miles into your operating plan if carloads/revenues remain constant.
 #1253520  by blabey

It's more efficient for both parties. BPRR runs a daily train in each direction between Buffalo to East Salamanca Yard. Interchange with WNYP at East Salamanca eliminates the need for a stop for set offs and pick ups at Machias - saving time and money.