Railroad Forums 

• RCRY taking over Metuchen Yd

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#895391  by TAMR213

WHAT? This is big news to me. Can you please elaborate? How will operations be affected? Will the RCRY be able to have a crew qualified for the corridor? I've also heard over the past few years that the RCRY will be opening an intermodel port on the Raritan, but it seems nothing has come of that yet. I almost hate to say it, but it kinda makes sense.
 #895506  by railroadcarmover

It was my understanding from a few years ago when this was proposed that CSAO would base their operations out of a office trailer to be set up at the yard adjacent to the northbound side of the NEC south of the 287 overpass. CSAO would still control train activity on the NEC.
 #937945  by enginedave

RCRY now has an agreement with CRSA to take outbounds up to Metuchen Yd and bring inbounds back. The dry runs will start this weekend (6/04/11) beginning Saturday @ 1030am approx. So get your cameras and wait at the Rt 1 xing. Big Green is coming thru... Could be the beginning something much bigger in the near future...
 #950613  by TAMR213

This months Rumorpace states that the RCRY is looking to acquire four new locomotives to handle the "increased traffic" due to this deal, but that CSAO will still be serving the Hatco plant...
 #960723  by enginedave

The president of RCRY is too cheap to buy any locomotives. He kept changing his mind yet frets over the upkeep costs of the junk he has. He is a complete moron that doesn't know how to run a railroad and keeps pissing off CR. I bet the derail still hasn't come down off of the Heller Park lead because of the way he mouthed off to CR.
 #973184  by faxman

For the last 2 week I have not seen the RCRY on the riverside dr siding droping or picking up cars. just Conrail down to the chemial plant mid day
 #973199  by railroadcarmover

faxman wrote:For the last 2 week I have not seen the RCRY on the riverside dr siding droping or picking up cars. just Conrail down to the chemial plant mid day

RCRY now runs its outbounds up to Metuchen Yard. They cross Route 1 around 6:00 / 6:30am. They drop their empties in Metuchen on 2 tracks and pull back to Raritan Center with their inbounds. They started this about a month ago.
 #984921  by RailsEast

Forgive the cross-post (another thread on the NJ forum)..... 2 LTEX units are on the property now...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2793240
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2793238
 #999812  by Mike77E9

railroadcarmover wrote:RCRY now runs its outbounds up to Metuchen Yard. They cross Route 1 around 6:00 / 6:30am. They drop their empties in Metuchen on 2 tracks and pull back to Raritan Center with their inbounds. They started this about a month ago.
I've been hearing them call Conrail Browns on AAR 58 when they want to go into Metuchen yard to make their drop/make their pickup. They have been calling themselves 'RC1'

Is there any more confirmation of the RCRY taking over Metuchen Yard? Also, i came across this on their website the other day: http://www.raritanexpress.com/route.html

Wouldn't this 'Raritan Express Shuttle' be stepping on NS,CSX,CSAO's toes at all? Looks like they have it going up the chemical coast. Close up on the map here: http://www.raritanexpress.com/assets/im ... map-lg.jpg
 #1251496  by bigblue5277

Mike77E9 wrote:
railroadcarmover wrote:RCRY now runs its outbounds up to Metuchen Yard. They cross Route 1 around 6:00 / 6:30am. They drop their empties in Metuchen on 2 tracks and pull back to Raritan Center with their inbounds. They started this about a month ago.
A pair of LTEX units lead a train of 15 cars or so east across Rt. 1 at 8:50am this morning. The train was also trailed by a pair of RCRY Geeps. Must have been the move mentioned above. As nice of a surprise as this was, why were they crossing Rt. 1 at the height of the morning rush hour? I guess it doesn't matter as Rt. 1 is always jam-packed. Does anyone know how regular this move is?
 #1251510  by Sir Ray

so, 3 years down the road, is this still true?
He [the president of RCRY] is a complete moron that doesn't know how to run a railroad and keeps pissing off CR. I bet the derail still hasn't come down off of the Heller Park lead because of the way he mouthed off to CR.
 #1251649  by TAMR213

bigblue5277 wrote:
Mike77E9 wrote:
A pair of LTEX units lead a train of 15 cars or so east across Rt. 1 at 8:50am this morning. The train was also trailed by a pair of RCRY Geeps. Must have been the move mentioned above. As nice of a surprise as this was, why were they crossing Rt. 1 at the height of the morning rush hour? I guess it doesn't matter as Rt. 1 is always jam-packed. Does anyone know how regular this move is?
When they still interchanged with CSAO in Raritan Center, I believe it was pretty much every weekday but I'm not sure about more recent times.

Sometimes a train going across Route 1 while its packed would actually help traffic by thinning it out a bit.