Railroad Forums 

• Photo Charter: Aug 4, 2014

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#1248845  by thebigham

https://www.facebook.com/groups/27917778441/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On August 4th, 2014 Dynamo Productions will be co-hosting a photo charter at the Arcade & Attica Railroad with Jonathan Eau Claire. This 8 hour photo event will include run-bys on both the South end (Arcade to Arcade Jct.) and on the North end, as far as Java. We will hold photo run-bys along the way at some of the most scenic spots, and there will be a lunch break at Curriers, so pack a lunch. The train departs promptly at 7am, don't be late!

Our trip will be powered by 1920 ALCo 2-8-0 Consolidation #18, a beautifully restored steam engine that has been running on the A&A since 1962.

Don't miss out on "Arcade August", 25 tickets are available, and cost only $100 a person. Tickets are available by making a check out to Jonathan Eau Claire, and mailing them to 204 Garden Road, Apt D, Towson, MD 21286. Ticket sales stop on July 1st, 2014. Don't wait to long, reserve your tickets today!

If you have any further questions please send a message to our Facebook page, or an email to Everett Meehling at [email protected]
 #1249291  by Benjamin Maggi

August 04 is a Monday. Is that a typo, or intentionally on a weekday? Will the steam engine be serving as the motive power for the daily freight trains or pulling a passenger consist? Mixed train?
 #1249522  by thebigham

Yes, it's a Monday.

Sounds like it's going to be an all day trip.

If they ran it on the weekend, the steamer would have to do the regular passenger train plus the charter after. Not enough time for the charter...

The A&A can apply to the FRA to carry passengers on FRA excepted track for special trips. No big deal...
 #1249523  by thebigham

Benjamin Maggi wrote:August 04 is a Monday. Is that a typo, or intentionally on a weekday? Will the steam engine be serving as the motive power for the daily freight trains or pulling a passenger consist? Mixed train?
We don't know yet. I'm sure more details will come out.
 #1249902  by Benjamin Maggi

Well, I will probably be there with my wife to take pictures no matter what as a bystander. The Finger Lakes Live Steamers have their public meet that weekend, so staying an extra day is easy. However, for $200 (for two people) more details will have to come out before I purchase 2 tickets.
 #1258132  by Benjamin Maggi

I emailed the gentleman running the show and here is his response:

The Arcade & Attica Railroad Steam Special "Arcade August" will be departing the Arcade depot at 7am and run to Arcade Jct, Curriers, and Java, NY. The photo run-by locations and times have been selected based on both their surroundings and the lighting conditions. The consist will be a re-arranged passenger consist hauled by #18; the consist will be re-arranged to be more prototypical and photogenic than the normal excursion consist. We will provide a lunch break at the Currier depot, so be sure to pack a lunch. Tickets are $100 per person, and are available by sending a check made out to Jonathan Eau Claire to 204 Garden Road, Apt D, Towson, MD 21286. Checks must be in by July 1st, 2014, but I recommend sending any checks in as soon as you can as only 23 tickets remain and you don't want to miss out on this first time event!
 #1284511  by Benjamin Maggi

I called the A&A today and they told me that #18 will only run to Curriers. The remainder of the train north will be pulled by the diesel. Frankly, I think that is great news. I wouldn't want to see #18 put on the ground due to rough track and her long wheelbase.
 #1285545  by thebigham

It was a GREAT day. Thanks, Dynamo Productions!

22 photo runbys?

A big THANKS to the A&A crew!!! They did everything that was asked of them!
 #1286821  by tjflynn

Special thanks to the A&A crew for a fantastic day of railroading, and to Everett, Jonathan, and the whole gang at Dynamo Productions for organizing the event. Even though we couldn't go north of Curriers, A&A surprised us with a mixed train for the first half of the day, and multiple runbys provided the opportunity for a variety of shots that just isn't possible with the usual one-train-a-day schedule. More surprising was the fact that the coaches can be coaxed through the siding at Curriers - has that ever been done before? Flanges squealed, rails groaned, but the end result was worth it (for the photographers, anyway) with better angles and lighting than the traditional main line views of 18 and train arriving at Curriers. Even the weather co-operated, with the morning haze burning off for a mostly sunny day. Can't wait for next year's trip.
 #1292245  by joesbag

Looks like it was a great charter experience! Bigham - been looking at your photos of the event online - great pix! What were the thoughts of those running the railroad with regards to re-installing the wye at the enginehouse in Arcade and building the new siding behind Prestolite? Increase the car storage capacity? Was the grant money they received only for those projects or would there be funds leftover to rehab more of the line north of Curriers?
 #1298110  by thebigham

joesbag wrote:Looks like it was a great charter experience! Bigham - been looking at your photos of the event online - great pix! What were the thoughts of those running the railroad with regards to re-installing the wye at the enginehouse in Arcade and building the new siding behind Prestolite? Increase the car storage capacity? Was the grant money they received only for those projects or would there be funds leftover to rehab more of the line north of Curriers?
Sorry, I just saw this.

New York State wanted the money spent in Arcade so all this new track was installed.

The A&A is actively pursuing funds to rebuild the 5 miles from Curriers to North Java. It needs it bad.