Railroad Forums 

• SD70M-2s

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1246601  by MEC407

Well how about that. Not such a wild rumor after all, I guess!
 #1246652  by Noel Weaver

The EMD exclusive is being broken. The Florida East Coast has up until now had nothing but EMD locomotives in various models. This move has been under consideration for some time but I did not post anything because it was only being considered. They are not really happy with the SD-70's, there have been too many cases of them crapping out on the road and they seem to spend more time in the shop than new or reasonably new engines should. They were only leased anyway so look for all of them to be returned to the EMD or to the leasor. If you are in Florida anytime soon I would suggest you get your photos of the SD-70's ASAP. Plan is to keep the older power that they already own, is will maintained and does a good job on the road. Things always seem to be interesting here in Florida.

http://fecrwy.investorroom.com/2014-01- ... c.facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noel Weaver
 #1246760  by KSmitty

Noel,
You mean all 11 SD70M-2's will go, the 3 leased and the 8 owned? Or just the 3 CITX units?
 #1246784  by Noel Weaver

KSmitty wrote:Noel,
You mean all 11 SD70M-2's will go, the 3 leased and the 8 owned? Or just the 3 CITX units?
All of the SD-70's are leased and all will go back and it might happen quite soon. I have heard that GE will provide some demos or something to replace the SD-70 and this could happen within months.
The older engines for the most part are staying although a couple of them are being let go, 2000 and 403 are headed off property pretty soon, maybe to Progress Rail for some treatment. The 2000 has the old heritage paint job but it is the last one of the original GP-40's which was never upgraded to dash two standards and has given them some problems when it was used. I saw it on its last trip down here on the point of 224 many months ago. Engine 403 hasn't run in a while either although I don't know just what problem it had. Both might be gone by now. The FEC expects a substantial increase in business as a result of expansion at Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) and the Port of Miami (the yard is not complete here as yet so business is limited right now) and they are figuring for more new power to handle this new business. They are also going to extend some sidings and add a little bit more double track in order to better handle this business. The trailroad itself is in superb condition and it is a delight to see trains here.
Noel Weaver
 #1246882  by KSmitty

Thanks very much Noel, I'd thought the 100-107 were owned outright, or at least financed on a purchase plan.
 #1247185  by CN9634

I don't believe the 100 - 107 are leased, although FEC probably owns the lease on them for a number of years.
 #1247244  by Noel Weaver

CN9634 wrote:I don't believe the 100 - 107 are leased, although FEC probably owns the lease on them for a number of years.
They are leased just like a lot of railroads today lease their newer locomotives. I think you are talking out of both sides of your mouth with the above statement, it is confusing to say the least. By the way, look for the SD-70 to disappear from the railroad within the next few months, get your photos soon if you want photos of them
Noel Weaver
 #1247287  by CN9634

I know very well about this and there is a difference between leasing power (IE HELM, GMTX, etc) and owning a lease (Like most railroads) for a given period of time.
 #1247653  by Bright Star

Owning a lease makes no sense. The lessor owns the leased property-the lessee leases the property. Are you speaking of a finance lease vs a short term lease ?

Bright Star
 #1247669  by Noel Weaver

The SD-70's will start to go later this month as some leased GE's will arrive to temporarily replace them until the new ones have been built.
Noel Weaver
 #1249133  by CN9634

Bright Star wrote:Owning a lease makes no sense. The lessor owns the leased property-the lessee leases the property. Are you speaking of a finance lease vs a short term lease ?

Bright Star
You're taking it too literal, it's an industry term.
 #1305879  by rrfoose

Who owns the FEC SD70M-2s? I wonder where they'll end up next...
 #1306695  by rrfoose

Rumor has it the SD70M-2s will be heading north to Maine, to operate on Fortress's other railroad, the Central Maine and Quebec Railway (ex-MM&A).