Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1246702  by doepack

Tadman wrote:And it couldn't happen a minute too soon. The old cars look like swiss cheese. I cut through Randolph Street Station on my way to lunch 3-ish days/week and the rust on the old cars is unbelievable.
Speaking of which: I heard on another board that a string of 7-8 cars are being stored in Rondout, and had been there a few weeks at least. Any truth to this?
 #1246719  by Milwaukee_F40C

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19531332@N03/9886123616/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXaGkoZZ808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More like months, and possibly more than eight cars.
 #1248300  by Illinifan

I believe the cars (around 20 or so I think) have been stored at Rondout since late August/early September of last year. Not sure of the exact count.
 #1263817  by Illinifan

A cut of about 13 retired Metra Electric Highliners now sit on a storage track in Deerfield (just south of the depot). They came from Chicago and arrived in Deerfield this past Sunday. There are now 30 plus cars in storage along the Milwaukee North Line (with the others being at Rondout).
 #1264040  by doepack

Four more cars headed east over the weekend, and was running right behind a long UP manifest heading to Proviso with no less than 12 units up front, including about four SD60s. They've been digging those up out of storage lately, and some of them look pretty rough. Not sure what the deal is...

As for the newer stuff, didn't get car numbers, but it's gotta be in the low 1300s by now...
 #1264577  by Thunder

1300 series just started showing up. The cars at Roundout are stored there so they dont get tagged. More went that way last week, not sure how many or when.
 #1270180  by Otto Vondrak

Heading into Chicago for the weekend. Are Highliner assignments scattered throughout the electric lines? I have Friday morning and Sunday afternoon to work with... Any help is appreciated in advance :-) Would like to return to Homewood, maybe other locations on the IC? Also not afraid to shoot downtown, had good luck on the South Chicago branch before.

-otto-
 #1270274  by Tadman

Otto, it's a pretty good mix these days between new stainless cars and the old painted cars. I just rode the entire line this AM on the CofNO inbound and there was plenty of both. Perhaps the footbridge at Soldier Field would be a good way for you to see over the downtown yard, too.
 #1270490  by Thunder

Otto its a big mix on the Electric right now. Over on the BI sub we can have either all old cars or all new. Sometimes its a mix. The old highliners on the Rock start at 55th and go up to 47th street.Cant move them anymore as the batteries are all dead. Shop forces have sealed them off as well.
 #1271212  by Otto Vondrak

Thanks, guys! I got some shots at Museum/11th Street (only one Highliner out of three trains), Blue Island (side by side comparison of old and new), and Homewood (stainless cars only). I'll have to make a return trip soon...

-otto-