Railroad Forums 

• Alco 636's on NYSW

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#123556  by Alcoman

Has anyone been able to get pictures of the trio?
I am trying to figure out if there is a pattern that NYSW uses between Syracuse and Binghamton so I know where to find them. So far, I have had little luck. I photographed once after an all day wild goose chase to Syracuse.
I am planning a trip this thursday. Where are they going to be starting from?

#124410  by Alcoman

Spent all day between Bingo and Cortland and Syracuse and could NOT find them !
Where did they go???

#124479  by GVrooman

They came to Binghamton light around 2:30 PM. They are now on the way to NJ leading the SU-100.
 #130268  by n01jd1

Here are some photos of SU-100 with the three "things" at Ridgefield Park, NJ 5/192005.

SU-100 switching cars into the "MC" tracks
http://n01jd1.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=132985

SU-100 and CSX Q-108 with the 8637 and HLCX 8137 in the new "dark future" blue and white side by side at MT Vernon St.
http://n01jd1.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=132986

Of course we have to have a good look at the Q-108.
http://n01jd1.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=132995

Here the SIXX 41 smokes it up switching cars
http://n01jd1.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=132988

And one last look at the three "things" from the top of the hill south of the station.
http://n01jd1.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=132993

Enjoy!!
Alcoman wrote:Has anyone been able to get pictures of the trio?
I am trying to figure out if there is a pattern that NYSW uses between Syracuse and Binghamton so I know where to find them. So far, I have had little luck. I photographed once after an all day wild goose chase to Syracuse.
I am planning a trip this thursday. Where are they going to be starting from?
 #133214  by SOU2645

6 of these big beasts now belong to Susie Q - completing a 20+ year old dream for them to own said units (theywere rebuked from buying ex CR C636's in the 1980's by CSX ironically...who has been stealing these as of late imagine that). They are becoming NYS&W 6360-6370 (even only). SIXX 45 is now 6366.
SOU2645

#135228  by ANDY117

43 just got here, i got a pic of it, and it's currently parked outside the Engine House in Binghamton.

#139050  by railwatcher

As of June 17th, there were none sitting outside in Cohocton on the B & H. Reported earlier that #75 &#85 were staying with LAL. The siding that theywere on is empty other than a couple of track repair units. LAL and B&H units were seen. Maybe the Cartier units are inside?

#152578  by NorfolkSouthernSean

Is the NYS&W planning to repaint them into their yellowjacket scheme? They would look good in fresh paint.
Last edited by NorfolkSouthernSean on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

#152616  by MEC407

Here's what I want to know, and I'm sure others have wondered the same thing: why would NYSW get rid of SD70Ms and B40-8s in favor of these units which are older, less efficient, more maintenance intensive, and whose parts are just going to get more and more expensive as the number of railroads/industries using the 251 engine contrinues to shrink?

#152739  by N. Todd

Here's what I want to know, and I'm sure others have wondered the same thing: why would NYSW get rid of SD70Ms and B40-8s in favor of these units which are older, less efficient, more maintenance intensive, and whose parts are just going to get more and more expensive as the number of railroads/industries using the 251 engine contrinues to shrink?
While I don't know why they discarded them, they got the Alcos for the same reason they grabbed the 45s. I don't understand, if the C-636s from Naporano were so bad (obviously CSX didn't want to deal with them), then why didn't NYSW go to Chrome? Although they were a bit farther away, they had the ex-BN units. They were intact, stored serviceable, and were not very rusty. And from what I understand, were half the price of Nap's dead units.
I'd like to see the M-636s back in the sweet green/yellow scheme...

#152889  by ANDY117

Anyways, we have them, and they're here to stay.

#152905  by Bryanjones

N. Todd wrote:
While I don't know why they discarded them, they got the Alcos for the same reason they grabbed the 45s. I don't understand, if the C-636s from Naporano were so bad (obviously CSX didn't want to deal with them), then why didn't NYSW go to Chrome? Although they were a bit farther away, they had the ex-BN units. They were intact, stored serviceable, and were not very rusty. And from what I understand, were half the price of Nap's dead units.
I'd like to see the M-636s back in the sweet green/yellow scheme...
The SD70M's weree leased out long term because the lease payments were so high and the loss of much traffic following the splitup of Conrail. The reason for letting the B40's go would have likely been due to the purchase price following the expiration of the lease.
The reason that NYSW didn't end up with any C636's during the 1980's was due to the fact Chessie/CSX would not accept the units in runthrough service. The Alco's were deemed oddballs so it wouldn't matter whether they came from Naporano or Chrome Locomotive. CSX is liable to raise hell about the current former Cartier units if they begin to tie up the railroad.

Bryan
 #152906  by Ale Rider

Could the ex- BN C636's units have been a problem in regard to clearances? They sure seemed to have boxier and higher structures behind the cab than say the PC C 636's.

At any rate I think it is incredible that three C636's have survived and are still earning their keep in the northeast.

As for MEC 407's comments I would point out that these are recently rebuilt units from the Cartier, a railroad that put a lot of time and research into mailing these reliable up to date locos.

Sure they might be older but given proper maintenance and care I think they will serve the NYSW well.