Railroad Forums 

• Boylston Street Graffiti

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1242781  by MBTA3247

I just saw that myself. :(
 #1242792  by octr202

Sad. Hopefully all those fancy cameras throughout the station caught the "artists."
 #1242847  by djimpact1

Thanks for the pictures Type7.

This is disgusting. This makes me wonder...
1) How the heck did anyone have access to the station overnight? Are the headhouse doors not locked at the end of service/station checked before locking?
2) What good is continuing to display these behind a fence if it eventually (& obviously) failed at serving its purpose?

If the MBTA isn't going to allow public access (a la pay-to-enter "museum") during service hours, they really should keep 3295 at one of their carhouses and give the Type 5 back to Seashore. Otherwise, the shimmer of looking at an unaccessible PCC (that'll likely never run due to the T's laziness) & Type 5 has been lost.
 #1242882  by CRail

The cars have been there since 1997 and the current situation at Boylston has proven suitable for 17 years. The MBTA is very anti-graffiti and I suspect this will be resolved within a reasonable amount of time. Regarding the Type 5's disposition, sleeping dogs are being left to lie and both parties seem to be content with it for now.
 #1243203  by saulblum

djimpact1 wrote:1) How the heck did anyone have access to the station overnight? Are the headhouse doors not locked at the end of service/station checked before locking?
A great question to ask the T cops or TSA thugs the next time you see them harassing riders and their bags during service hours.
 #1243299  by nomis

So nice that 'cleaning it up' is putting brown tarps over the cars ... :)
 #1243313  by Gerry6309

I don't know if we painted 5734 with Imron when we rehabbed it in 1979, but that paint job held up damn well for 33 years. The same goes for 3295. The worst that can happen is some fresh paint over the graffiti and clean the glass. More importantly, this attracted some attention to the cars, which can't be a bad thing for STM and 589.
 #1243340  by CRail

nomis wrote:So nice that 'cleaning it up' is putting brown tarps over the cars ... :)
That's clearly the permanent solution. Image
 #1243406  by ST214

This is truly saddening. I hope by "cleaned up" they do not mean the same thing they do when they hit commuter rail coaches, as the grafitti will still be visible.
 #1243420  by octr202

Looks like the cars cleaned up pretty well. Nice to see some inside photos, they look like they're doing pretty well down there (aside from this week) despite never getting much attention.

I'd bet that a high quality paint finish is probably easier to remove spray paint from than the bare metal skins of some of the commuter rail cars - aren't the ones that show the worst "ghost tags" the ones with the brushed aluminum exterior?