Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1240118  by The EGE

There's at least two, elevated, up by Richmond Terrace. Looks like platforms still in place. I can't speak for how they look from the ground.
 #1240680  by cristinarosales

This is a brilliant idea. I have never thought about taking a "tour" of abandoned stations. I have only been through Staten Island once. I would love to take a trip back, but I am afraid I can't say of any abandoned stations, but I would really be interested in a list, as well. I enjoy finding different things to visit and experience when I travel to different cities. This is something I could do in a number of places I travel to on a regular basis. Cool post, thanks for the idea. Does anyone know of any other stations?
 #1241367  by andre

theseaandalifesaver wrote:How many abandoned Staten Island stations are there? Are they worth going to check out? I was wondering if you could even see anything worth checking out from a legal distance at any of them.

much of the north shore line row is very much intact,

port richmond avenue station on the elevated portion is still there with its platforms and canopies.
another station between Sharpe and Treadwell avenue is still there with is platofrm and canopies

both stations still retain their steps (both are very well fenced off and not in the best of areas)

you can follow the line on google earth and view the station locations and platforms.

as for the the old south beach line... all gone after 1999 from where it branched off at clifton to the beach. it was sold to developers who squeezed town houses into every inch of the ROW. some of the old bridge foundations remain on St Johns avenue in rosebank (belair ave station) and on Linda ave in south beach there is still a girder bridge in place.
 #1255837  by 4400Washboard

Most North Shore line stations are still intact, just in really bad shape.
 #1260087  by bellstbarn

The website http://forgotten-ny.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mingles views of the Staten Island Rapid Transit with other neighborhood views. Google Staten Island Rapid Transit site:forgotten-ny.com and you get several good leads. The search engine within forgotten-ny.com seems weaker than the Google site-specific search.
---
For the remnants of the South Beach line, please see this link
http://forgotten-ny.com/2009/03/arrocha ... -island-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

---
Yes, I did ride both the South Beach and North Shore lines shortly before abandonment. If I recall correctly, the South Beach trains carried a white target for identification.
---
Don't miss this website:
http://www.gretschviking.net/GOSIRTPage1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe
 #1262621  by XBNSFer

The station platforms on the below grade stations are still mostly intact, but the line is "returning to nature," with lots of trees and vegetation smothering everything. The stairs were torn down (and most are probably just laying in pieces in the trench) when the street overpasses were re-done. You used to be able to see the Harbor Road station (between Harbor Rd. and a walkway to Lockman Ave.) from Harbor Road, but this was obliterated when the new freight tracks were installed at the old Arlington Yard location for Howland Hook container port and trash transfer services. You can see the Mariner's Harbor station (center platform, between Van Pelt Ave. and a walkway from the end of Maple Parkway that no longer exists) from Van Pelt Ave., the Lake Avenue station (between Simonson Ave. and Lake Ave.) from Simonson Ave. or Lake Ave., and the Elm Park station (between Morningstar Rd. and walkways to perhaps Eaton Pl. and Newark Ave., not sure - beneath the Bayonne Bridge) from Morningstar Rd. A brick station building on Morningstar Rd. unfortunately appears to have been destroyed when the bridge was re-done. After that, the line comes out of the trench onto a concrete viaduct (still intact) with the elevated platforms atop the viaduct still visible from the street. These include Tower Hill station (visible from Treadwell Ave.) and Port Richmond station (between Port Richmond Ave. (formerly Richmond Ave.) and Park Ave.). After that, the line goes down to grade level through the industrial waterfront, with the stations (West Brighton, Livingston, Sailors Snug Harbor, and New Brighton) largely eradicated (probably wood construction, which was more easily wiped away when no longer in use). Some steps and a plaque exist at the site of the Sailors Snug Harbor station, but I think that's about it. Portions of the waterfront ROW have also been washed away over the years since abandonment of freight operation over the line to St. George and beyond on SIRT trackage rights. The fairly new Ballpark station is right next to the terminal in St. George for the new minor league ballpark built there on part of the former B&O railroad yard site.

Much of the North Shore Line is in rougher neighborhoods, so exercise due caution if you go on a "tour."
 #1585629  by XBNSFer

Update - I heard the Elm Park station has also been demolished recently, so you're down to the Mariner's Harbor and Lake Avenue stations in the open cut.