Railroad Forums 

• Update on PATCO Car Rebuild

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1231106  by radioboy

#5 - Dyre Ave wrote:Who said they would be made diesel-hauled? They wouldn't be able to operate in the Locust St Subway or under downtown Camden if they were.
It's a joke, because in the photo all you see is the big rubber truck wheels. The diesel is referring to the truck it's on.
 #1231203  by ReadingAve

I kept staring at the pictures of the new cars wondering why they looked different and then I realized. There's no black paint aroudn the windows on the front of the cars and the red cheater stripe is missing from the sides. I wonder if the paint will be added at Lindenwold or that's it, the new look?
 #1232487  by ryanov

Someone else asked and didn't get an answer: what were those lights up top that are now removed for? Showing service patterns or something?
 #1232643  by interlocking

ryanov wrote:Someone else asked and didn't get an answer: what were those lights up top that are now removed for? Showing service patterns or something?
Were they the lights that indicated that train was not under ATC?
 #1233590  by prr60

chuchubob wrote:
ReadingAve wrote:Thanks for the first look. Any idea how the new car numbers carry over from the original?
A former employee suggested that 2XY be renumbered 10XY. Thats what they're doing.
In the grand scheme of things it does not matter, but I wonder why they didn't simply add a "1" to the old number to make the new number? 1XY > 11XY, 2XY > 12XY, etc. With 247 becoming 1047 and apparently 2XY becoming 10XY, it begs the question of what happens with the renumbering of 1XY series single unit cars.
 #1239153  by Silverliner II

chuchubob wrote:
ReadingAve wrote:Thanks for the first look. Any idea how the new car numbers carry over from the original?
A former employee suggested that 2XY be renumbered 10XY. Thats what they're doing.
In an unconscious way, the 10xx-series numbers mimics the numbering system for the old Bridge cars, which were in the 1000-series. Cars 201-296 will return as 1001-1096. I am going to make a guess that the singles (101-125) will return as 1101-1125 (minus 120/1120, which had been running in work service, I hear).
ryanov wrote:Someone else asked and didn't get an answer: what were those lights up top that are now removed for? Showing service patterns or something?
They were simply white and red marker lights, white when leading, red when trailing, and are pretty much no longer used now anyway. My video, shot back in the fall: A Piece Of PATCO

Wow.... I've finally made it to my 4,000th post. That calls for a Pennsylvania Dutch birch beer.....
 #1239175  by nomis

IIRC, with the rebuild program, the singles would be turned into married pairs ...
 #1239873  by Silverliner II

nomis wrote:IIRC, with the rebuild program, the singles would be turned into married pairs ...
Whoa, what? Wow... well, that's going to make them stick out like sore thumbs in consists with the ends that get de-cabbed. I just wonder how they will handle the single leaf doors behind the cabs.
 #1253775  by TWTRTECH

Silverliner II wrote:
nomis wrote:IIRC, with the rebuild program, the singles would be turned into married pairs ...
Whoa, what? Wow... well, that's going to make them stick out like sore thumbs in consists with the ends that get de-cabbed. I just wonder how they will handle the single leaf doors behind the cabs.
Well here is one of the one time singles..
 #1262027  by prr60

So, here we are in April. Has anyone actually seen or heard of the refurbished cars being tested? The first cars arrived over three months ago with an estimate of first revenue service in February, and now <crickets>.