Railroad Forums 

• Builder Schedule - December

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1235912  by ThirdRail7

They were trying to get another set out there to help. Absent that, this may be the best way to end the current cycle of lateness and stub sections. Hopefully, the situation will correct itself in a few days. Hopefully.
 #1235985  by jogden

I must point out that generally BNSF is pretty good about keeping Amtrak on schedule, or pretty close to it. Right now there are major upgrades going on, mostly due to the oil rush in the Dakotas and Montana. Whenever there is a major infrastructure upgrade taking place, there are sure to be delays. In the long run however, the upgrades will allow for more capacity on the line, which will increase the performance of all the trains operating in or through that area, including Amtrak. The freight traffic levels through that area are at record highs, and even without upgrades and maintenance taking place, it would be unreasonable to keep expecting Amtrak to run on time with the congestion that exists. More traffic means everything goes slower unless something is done to increase capacity. Delays and service interruptions now are temporary and are making room for better, more sustainable service in the future.
 #1236029  by David Benton

I first saw it on Narp's facebook page, and in Trains newswire.
I'm not sure why it ended up in the wrong forum , things seem to be getting mixed up crossing the Equator.

Is it still a same day turn in Seattle?.Six hours seems tight at the best of times.
 #1236067  by Tadman

I edited the thread title. You can get down on BNSF all you want with comments like "way to run a railroad" or "well done BNSF", but the fact is they're doing exactly as they are supposed to. Making big bucks moving freight and creating value for shareholders, which are the holders of BRK-A and BRK-B stock. Said shareholders are typically pension funds and insurance companies serving state workers, unions, and the middle class.
 #1236130  by ThirdRail7

Tadman wrote:I edited the thread title. You can get down on BNSF all you want with comments like "way to run a railroad" or "well done BNSF", but the fact is they're doing exactly as they are supposed to. Making big bucks moving freight and creating value for shareholders, which are the holders of BRK-A and BRK-B stock. Said shareholders are typically pension funds and insurance companies serving state workers, unions, and the middle class.
I disagree since their trains are stranded too! This article is terrible. There is extra traffic but the main reason for the congestion is the weather impacting the territory. Crews are outlawing, equipment is breaking down making the trains are run late and the turns are impacted. It is a vicious cycle. From a cursory position, BNSF appears to do a heck of a job with moving Amtrak trains. Sometimes, the situation is not in your favor. Amtrak can still run the trains, but they are never going to be anywhere close to time.

It is similar to when the Auto train gets into the "death cycle." Sometimes you have to cancel a leg to give the equipment time to get back on schedule.
 #1236184  by mtuandrew

For reference, it has been in the low single digits for the majority of December in Minnesota, and often below zero. That translates to frequent double digits below zero in the Dakotas, plus snow, sleet, ice, and some wicked winds off the Canadian plains. I suspect that brake hoses and couplers are breaking at a higher-than-average rate, and hope the injury rate hasn't gone up as well.

On a side note, that explains why I'm hearing Amtrak horns on the CP Rail (ex-Milwaukee) Merriam Park Sub at such odd hours. (And it also makes me wish for a regional train from Chicago to St. Paul even harder.)
 #1236290  by Tadman

mtuandrew wrote:(And it also makes me wish for a regional train from Chicago to St. Paul even harder.)
Yes! I've been a fan of this idea for a while. I've always thought the CHI-KC and CHI-MSP route would be great regional trains like the Pennsylvanian or Palmetto, perhaps run on the opposite slot of the LD on this route.
 #1236293  by Station Aficionado

Tadman wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:(And it also makes me wish for a regional train from Chicago to St. Paul even harder.)
Yes! I've been a fan of this idea for a while. I've always thought the CHI-KC and CHI-MSP route would be great regional trains like the Pennsylvanian or Palmetto, perhaps run on the opposite slot of the LD on this route.
The Amtrak study on this (done for MN and WI) is due in the near future. If CP is amenable, it would seem to be mostly a matter of equipment and operating subsidy. Tracks and stations are in place.
 #1236375  by mtuandrew

Station Aficionado wrote:
Tadman wrote:
The Amtrak study on this (done for MN and WI) is due in the near future. If CP is amenable, it would seem to be mostly a matter of equipment and operating subsidy. Tracks and stations are in place.
And Minnesota is amenable too, at least under the current governor. Wisconsin less so, but they might be willing to buy into extending one Hiawatha. Crossing my fingers that they will use St. Paul Union Depot to its fullest.
 #1246563  by jstolberg

BM6569 wrote:Many sources online. Search Amtrak BNSF on google news.

"Heavy freight traffic is hampering Amtrak passenger trains between Chicago and the Pacific Northwest."

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/tr ... 73861.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to Capon, severe weather has been a contributing factor, but he said most of the fault lies with the logjam of rail congestion caused by hundreds of additional freight trains being pressed into service to transport North Dakota crude oil to refineries in other parts of the U.S.
http://www.narprail.org/news/press-rele ... n-the-cold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
American Crystal Sugar Co. officials said this week they're worried that a slowdown in rail service could cost the company millions of dollars if it continues to disrupt production. American Crystal Sugar said it plans to scale back on output at three of its plants because it's running out of storage space waiting for rail cars.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/plai ... s-22288103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Approximately 100 new tank cars are manufactured every 2 days. Are we reaching capacity on the Hi-line?