Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1228138  by pbass

Bought a new book by Joseph B.Raskin-so new it's first publication date is 2014 titled "The Routes Not Taken''-A trip through New York City's unbuilt subway system.Well researched & very informative regarding local history of the routes built/not built,people involved in the endeavors & the end results,etc.I was very enlightened to the matters of the Northeast Bronx[Wakefield]where I originally come from,and the NYWB RY.,it's transformation into the the Dyre Ave.line.Unbuilt lines is an enjoyable read.
 #1228331  by JamesRR

I bought this book as a Kindle edition. Unfortunately, none of the maps are legible. When you zoom in on them, they are low-res. Which defeats the whole purpose of the book, since the maps help to visualize the explanations of the proposed lines.

It is an interesting read, though at times, I feel like there's a bit too much detail about the political bickering that went back and forth about proposals. It leans more toward the social/political side of things, but there is still some good info about the proposed system extensions (though a lot of that info is widely available on a number of well-researched websites).
 #1228358  by pbass

The maps are terrible even with a magnifying glass and a bad pair of eyes,they can be difficult.It is an interesting read.