Railroad Forums 

• Shore Line Trolley Museum, Branford (East Haven), CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#1208996  by Mr rt

The last Guest Operator/RT week-end for the year will be the 3rd week-end of September.
It has been a busy year with lots of new & existing members wanting their turn at the controls.

Sunday, August 21st there were seven of us in operations.
The Dispatcher was sending three cars at a time down the line to get all the work done in a timely fashion.
That makes it interesting when they come back, as two wrong rail into two different sidings while the third right rails to the Farm Rv Rd station.
It is also a challenge for the operators vs. normal back & forth operations.
Car use was equally split between trolley & subway cars.

Trolley cars available (after Hurricane Sandy we had to a lot of motor drying & some need to be sent out for O/H)
- ConnCo 775 & 1602
- Atlanta 348
- Johnstown 357
- New Orleans 850
 #1211879  by TomNelligan

Mr. rt... I've seen the photos of the carbarn area under water, so I know how wet things got during Sandy, but are those six cars the only ones in the collection that are currently operational or just the ones that were out that day?
 #1212320  by polybalt

Can anyone update the status of the project to build two new car barns above flood level? Did the Museum get any acceptable bids? If so,have they awarded a contract? When is construction likely to begin?

Thanks
 #1214595  by RailRide

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:
http://www.bera.org/etc-photos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Publically-accessible photos of the current site preparation and future barn construction.

I'm assuming further photos will be added without fanfare or announcement, so keeping tabs on progress will likely depend on checking the linked page every once in awhile.

---PCJ
 #1215492  by Mr rt

What you see in the photos is prep for the footings for building #2. The steel is coming soon too.
We recently acquired some used track, plus a couple of special switches have been orderd.
By the first snow fall the shells of both buildings should be up.
The goal was to have tracks to the buildings by Fall, but we encountered some State red tape.

I have been on the site of the work.
We have retained a border of trees around the site, as requested by the community ... they didn't want to be able to SE the buildings.
This lets us keep the Halloween activity in the trees this year & the future ... this now brings in a lot of money.
Can you believe it, folks pay us lots of money to scare them :-)

This week-end is the last RT/Guest Opr ... I'll be operating a couple of NYC subway cars.
Pay us enough money & I'll be happy to pilot you :-)

Sometime early next year we won't have any cars outside anymore !
 #1227227  by RailRide

And now the newest photos: http://www.bera.org/etc-photos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One building erected, a concrete/steel pit in the other, and specialwork for the new track links arrive.

(I'm surprised none of the regulars have provided the link to the newest photo page)

---PCJ
 #1255076  by Mr rt

Training for new trolley operators is going on in March.
Meanwhile many ties have been set in one of the new buildings.
Our plan is to get much of the fleet up there before September.
This means cutting in a switch off the main plus O/H power or getting our new 25 ton diesel operating.
 #1293914  by Frank

These are my first videos of the Shore Line Trolley Museum. They were both taken in 2005. The first video is actually two videos in one. The first video is of a short ride on Johnstown trolley car 357 from Sprague Station to the trolley loop, the second one is of 357 leaving the trolley barns. The second video is of former NYC Subway car 6688 passing by me at SLTM. The sound of the car's compressor is quite prominent in the video.

Johnstown Trolley car 357 at the Shore Line Trolley Museum
http://youtu.be/af78LuGGhrw?list=UUyUUf ... lRoKecPk_w

R17 6688 at the Shore Line Trolley Museum barns
http://youtu.be/-o5hRENf8Gc?list=UUyUUf ... lRoKecPk_w

Enjoy! :-)
 #1342830  by NH2060

Tom6921 wrote:I heard the Shore Line Trolley Museum will be getting the PATH cars that were rescued from the World Trade Center on 9/11 and they are to arrive in early August.
One of the cars (PA-3 Car 745) arrived in East Haven yesterday. Here's a link to a couple of videos with interviews from PATH employees via WTNH-TV:

http://wtnh.com/2015/08/06/911-path-tra ... ey-museum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;