Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1225634  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

I was a railroad police officer assigned to Penn Station, New York in 1969-70. At that time you had SCL and Southern Railroad trains arriving and departing New York under PC power. Remember that the ETT's at the time would give these trains Penn Central train numbers. These trains however would have conductors, assistant conductors and trainmen of the respective RR's on the train. I was told that they were responsible for ticket collection and other services that would normally be done by the Penn Central crews. Could some tell me if that would be correct or was there also a PC crew on the train or at least a PC conductor? Remember this is pre Amtrak and SR didn't fold into Amtrak for many years later.
 #1225649  by Ocala Mike

I always thought that from Washington north, PC crews "took over" everything. Maybe the other crews you saw on the train were just deadheading to NY or doing paperwork?
 #1225723  by ExCon90

I don't know of my own knowledge, but I can't imagine for a minute that the PC union locals would stand for anyone from another railroad performing those functions on the ex-PRR. The tickets were through tickets with a separate coupon for each railroad in the route; they read via Penn Central from Washington to New York. The only arrangements I know of for through working on railroads in general were when pool crews were assigned to a joint through operation, with respective employees assigned to the pool in strict proportion to the distances involved (like CNJ-RDG crews between Jersey City and Philadelphia? -- I think that was the arrangement they had). Pullman conductors worked through, however, and were responsible for all transactions involving Pullman passengers or equipment -- that may have been what was meant.
 #1225846  by Noel Weaver

All of the trains north of Washington, D C were Penn Central trains and had Penn Central crews. At no time did any foreign railroad crews work these trains. They did, however have Pullman sleeping car porters and Pullman conductors and the dining and lounge car employees were also employees of the railroad in the south in most cases although I think the dining car crews on the Penn Central got a share of this work. Tickets for these trains were also Penn Central between New York and Washington. Penn Central passes were also good on these trains.
Noel Weaver
 #1225935  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Thanks guys for the info. These crewmen would come in on every train. You knew they were not PC trainmen; they wore the bus driver style hat as opposed to a standard RR conductor's hat and had large rectangular hat badges with either SCL or SR logos on them.
 #1225951  by Noel Weaver

Some of these trains at times had a passenger service agent on them who would go through to or from New York. They were not considered as part of the actual operating train crew and had no authority over the conductor in any case. This is probably what you witnessed back when.
Noel Weaver