Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Tycoon

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#120604  by rvrrhs

Those "new maps" are not published by PopTop or G.O.D. or any other game company--they're created by individual gamers using the map editor software that's part of RT-II.

Since RT-III came out, a lot of the RT-II stuff on the Web has disappeared, but if you do a Google search for "Railroad Tycoon maps."

#120962  by CRail

you have to make the new maps yourself. I dont think you can download them.

On the topic of the new forum, The same thing was recently discussed about MSTS. If you guys get enough people, and enough traffic, you could make it happen, but not untill then

#120964  by rvrrhs

CRail wrote:you have to make the new maps yourself. I dont think you can download them.
Not entirely true. There are still a couple of places where other players have posted maps. Some are pretty good, while others are either dumb or have lots of technical problems.

#120980  by CRail

Excelent! Do you know where they are?

#122492  by GTR713

As beautiful as RRT3 is, I bought it for a mere $10, installed it, played it and re-installed RRT2 right after. First off, the day/night cycle thing wasn't all that necessary, nor was the pixel-shaded water. those kinds of elements are not useful in a strategy game such as this. They should have refined their 2D engine.

Another thing that bugged me was not only the low number of locomotives but also the dates at which they become available; many are just plain wrong. Also, it would have been interesting to upgrade locomotives with superheaters, feedwater heaters and other advancements.

Back to RRT2.

#136116  by kevinknobl

There is an expansion pack for RRTIII. Does anyone have it? Is there a way to get it without having to download a 100+ MB file??

Thanks,
Kevin

#141015  by _UPSTATE_SCHDY_

RT3 - not very good,they try to make things "prettier..lol" than put into game play and tossed it into the game bin here for games/sims that "sorry to say-suck"..
RT2 is one of the better sims i ever played for Rail fans ever since the old C64 game/sim "Spin" was released "still one of my favorites",but also a game company or corprate biz looks at its gamer demographics to see how many people would buy the game and only so much input/effort is put nto it for its release "ever wonder why some games sell for $9.99" well thats the demand for games of these types especialy Railroad sims...
I havent though used or really looked into the Microsoft sim...

But id stick with RT2.......even though Schenectady isint in it.....or the Orig Dewitt Clinton run/scenerio either...but fum to kill time and just a great sim...

#164574  by Bucyrus6150

Anybody know what the 8 new locomotives are in the RT3 expansion pack? If theres anything good (SD40-2 I'm hoping) I might download it when I have 8 and a half hours to wait ($#&$^% dial up! :( )

#164737  by keeper1616

New Locomotives:
242 A1
Class 460
Class A1
Class P8
GP 35
QJ Class
U1
The Zephyr

New Maps:
Alternate USA
Coast to Coast
East of the Mississippi
Eastern China
Ireland
Louisiana
Mexico
Pacific Coast
Pacific Northwest
Poland
Russia
Southern Pacific
Spanish Mainline

plus ways to put make your own logos, paint your trains and put your face in as a tycoon

#183304  by Tom_E_Reynolds

Just downloaded DOSBOX from http://dosbox.sourceforge.net so I can emulate DOS on my XP PC and then downloaded Railroad Tycoon (orginal and Deluxe) from http://www.abandonia.com/genre.php?search=railroad

Its all FREE!!!

I've been playing for days now!!!!

I love the rate wars! I wonder why they took them out of RRII and RRIII?

Long Live Railroad Tycoon!
 #189525  by davidl

Hi,

I just started using the RR Tycoon 3 demo. It seems like a lot of fun, but I haven't been able to play for more than 15 minutes without getting a gpfault.

I'm running WinXP with all the current updates.

Unfortunately I don't have any more details. The message displays and the computer reboots too quickly for me to see what's going on.

Has anybody experienced any similar problems?

Thanks.

David

#192047  by One of One-Sixty

Has anybody played RRT II against other people online? I have been trying to find other people to play against.

#192190  by rvrrhs

One of One-Sixty wrote:Has anybody played RRT II against other people online? I have been trying to find other people to play against.
I'll have to keep that in mind if I get some time to play at home (like over the holidays). I usually can only play at work during lunch...and our firewall prevents online gaming.

#524511  by heyitsme23

Railroad tycoon 3 is ok, for us mac users its the only game for OSX. They really need to make an update to work better on the new Intel macs, my macbook pro gets very hot playing. Also, there are a few bugs that drive me crazy, such as trains slowing down to about 2 mph when approaching a station, making a huge traffic jam (it takes longer for a high speed train to make it to the station when slowed down then to travel the distance between 2 cities), when electrifying track you have to extend it about a train length from the station on the other side otherwise your electric trains won't make it to the station (doesnt sound like a big deal but when you have to bulldoze half the city to build your track its pointless), and a very peculiar tunnel issue, where when building track above or near a long tunnel, moving the mouse over the area where the tunnel runs will pull the track up to the surface, creating a very steep grade that will stall your trains traveling through the tunnel. Also, I wish they would allow you to bulldoze grades, almost every other tycoon game has landscape deform tools. Even if they made it cost a fortune and only allow certain depths (or raised heights) this would make building track in very mountainous regions such as switzerland's map a lot easier. Also, it would look more realistic than a track going up a 12% grade in order to connect to a bridge.

One thing that also frustrates me but can add to the excitement I guess is the fact that electrified rail over bridges gets very expensive with maintenance costs or whatever as the game progresses, it will make you go bankrupt even if you have millions unless you buy up a lot of industries. Speaking of industries, I think it makes the game a lot more boring, too easy. Also, I miss having to specify that you want your train to carry coal or coffee or whatever, instead of just being able to pick any cargo. The game's entire industry supply/demand model has gotten very complex.

Overall the game has very nice graphics and is enjoyable to watch, but tends to be very easy at times unless you set yourself up to fail from the beginning. Its a great game for kids