Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1223625  by acelaphillies

I feel like at this point in time when there is so much news about the ACS-64, it needs a thread. Please stay ON TOPIC.

To start of the conversation, here is a video from EMDSD14R of an odd equipment move that took place on the Keystone Corridor this Sunday. It includes the ACS-64 as well as an additional assortment of equipment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQZ3IBFG9eU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mods: Feel free to merge this with the old thread if you want to unlock it.
 #1223632  by BuddSilverliner269

That test train has a baggage car that is fitted with equipment that is suppose to represent HEP loads for 14 cars. I don't know what it is and only heard talk. I'm assuming they added the other cars to help suck up the hep load. The sleepers and diners-cafes draw the most off of the hep.
 #1223862  by acelaphillies

BuddSilverliner269 wrote: That test train has a baggage car that is fitted with equipment that is suppose to represent HEP loads for 14 cars. I don't know what it is and only heard talk. I'm assuming they added the other cars to help suck up the hep load. The sleepers and diners-cafes draw the most off of the hep.
Interesting. I was wondering how they would test that, because they don't have 15 spare cars just laying around all the time.
ThirdRail7 wrote:I mentioned this in the Unique Equipment thread, but that was the ACS-64 Compatibility test train. It was out there (and other places) for days.
Hopefully each piece of equipment all worked well with the new loco.
 #1223955  by ApproachMedium

How many threads do we really need for ACS-64 stuff? Isnt this like the 3rd?

Anyhow I am surprised they had a diner and a viewliner available to use for testing. Most likely that baggage car was outfitted with a bunch of resistor banks to simulate the load of HEP for quite a few cars.
 #1223962  by mtuandrew

acelaphillies wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:How many threads do we really need for ACS-64 stuff? Isnt this like the 3rd?
Yes, it's the third. But the only one active one! Our problem isn't starting them, it keeping them unlocked! ;)
Hey, is it just me, or do the ACS-64s look like the Turboli-

THREAD LOCKED

:-D
 #1223966  by 25Hz

I wonder if the gennie was providing any power or was cut out and just providing cab controls?
 #1223967  by 25Hz

mtuandrew wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:How many threads do we really need for ACS-64 stuff? Isnt this like the 3rd?
Yes, it's the third. But the only one active one! Our problem isn't starting them, it keeping them unlocked! ;)

THREAD LOCKED

Now that you mention it, the cab lines and

-gets banned-
 #1223968  by ThirdRail7

mtuandrew wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:

THREAD LOCKED

I think they sound like the AEM............... :P
 #1223978  by acelaphillies

25Hz wrote:I wonder if the gennie was providing any power or was cut out and just providing cab controls?
I think the P42 was actually the only thing running on the move. I could see exhaust from the diesel and the pan was down.

But while we are on the ACS-64 subject, the inverse relationship between the ACS-64 delievery and the ALP-44 retirement by NJ Transit reminds me of the original business structure of the NJ DOT and how that eventually grew into what is today NJT... hope we can deal with this MINOR off-topicness....wait what do you mean the thread is locked?!?!...isn't the ACS-64 thread for all of my totally unrelated material???? ;)
 #1223997  by amtrakhogger

Tadman wrote:Hey look it's a couple of comedians....

Slow night for you guys, eh? :-)
DR..NO BOOING, NO BOOING!