Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1202982  by drumz0rz

I semi regularly take the PATH over to the WTC from Exchange Place. On my last crossing, a red light began flashing at the very end of the station a few minutes after the previous train departed and a few minutes before the next arrived. I've never seen it illuminated before like that. The station attendant at the end of the platform was also looking at it quizzically. Someone told her something over the radio and she responded (I was too far away to hear what they said). The signals were all green. The next train arrived with the light still flashing, I got on and we departed for, and arrived at the WTC as normal without incident.

Anyone know what that flashing red signal is? I think it has another small indicator light below it (like the signal on the westbound platform telling the engineer if the switch is sending him to Grove or Newport).
 #1203398  by Terry Kennedy

drumz0rz wrote:I semi regularly take the PATH over to the WTC from Exchange Place. On my last crossing, a red light began flashing at the very end of the station a few minutes after the previous train departed and a few minutes before the next arrived. I've never seen it illuminated before like that. The station attendant at the end of the platform was also looking at it quizzically. Someone told her something over the radio and she responded (I was too far away to hear what they said). The signals were all green. The next train arrived with the light still flashing, I got on and we departed for, and arrived at the WTC as normal without incident.

Anyone know what that flashing red signal is? I think it has another small indicator light below it (like the signal on the westbound platform telling the engineer if the switch is sending him to Grove or Newport).
If it's what I think you're describing, it's a "Hold for orders" signal. They usually have an "O" plate below the single lens. They see a lot less use in modern times, since everyone has a radio. In some cases I've seen them blinking, it has been because somebody bumped a switch on the board and triggered it.
 #1203528  by Thomas

Terry Kennedy wrote:f it's what I think you're describing, it's a "Hold for orders" signal. They usually have an "O" plate below the single lens. They see a lot less use in modern times, since everyone has a radio. In some cases I've seen them blinking, it has been because somebody bumped a switch on the board and triggered it.
What does bumped a switch on the board mean?