Railroad Forums 

• Yreka Western

• Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).
Discussion related to railroading activities past and present in the American Pacific Northwest (including Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and southern British Columbia).

Moderator: lbshelby

#1041421  by kevin.brackney

SITREP: Who has the latest and greatest intel on the YW? I was last there Oct '10. I know 19 is being, or has been sent north to Oregon; and I'm aware of the flap over scrapping the rail south of the depot (presumably south of Suburban Propane). I will be in the region in the near future and time (and spouse) permitting, I'll try to take a look for myself.
 #1220900  by thebigham

http://www.altamontpress.com/discussion ... hp?1,92150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YREKA, Calif. – Yreka Western 2-8-2 No. 19 may soon have a new home. A sheriff's auction is set for the locomotive, a 1915 Baldwin product, on Oct. 25 at 10 a.m. at the railroad's shops in Yreka. The locomotive will be available for inspection on Oct. 24 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Payment by bank letter of credit or cashier’s check will be required from winning bidder at the conclusion of the sale. The winning bidder must arrange to remove the locomotive immediately from the property or arrange storage with Yreka Western.

Iowa Pacific President Ed Ellis tells Trains News Wire he will store the locomotive for the successful bidder for free on one of his railroad properties.

The 8.8-mile Northern California short line interchanges with Central Oregon & Pacific at Montague, but has not moved revenue freight for a number of years. In the mid-1990s, it carried less than 500 cars annually. It also operated steam-powered "Blue Goose" excursions beginning in the 1980s.
 #1492590  by kevin.brackney

In a recent visit to Yreka I noticed that things still look pretty sad, really. I'm still waiting for the aggressive pursuit of industrial development along the YW ROW, as promised by RailMark, Inc. It's been two years now. Any thoughts?
 #1637955  by kevin.brackney

Update: No cars anywhere on the line. Red board facing towards Yreka on the turnout connecting YW to the CORP. Only place I couldn't see was the inside of the engine house.