Railroad Forums 

• Your favorite and least favorite passenger trains

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1219862  by SouthernRailway

Figured this would make an interesting topic:

What's your favorite passenger train ever (whether currently in operation or not)?

What's your least favorite passenger train (whether currently in operation or not)?

My favorites: Thalys (it's fast, inexpensive and attractive, and I like the cities in the Low Countries and Germany that it goes to), and the Crescent (due to its history, those terrific Viewliner sleeping cars and where it goes).

My least favorites: I don't dislike any passenger train, but the Adirondack is slow and has Amfleet equipment; perhaps the Carolinian would be up there as well for the same reasons.
 #1219895  by lirr42

My favorite passenger trains would have to be LIRR Montauk Branch trains 2703 and 2716 since they're the two which get me back and forth to work everyday! ;-)

Other than that, I'm quite fond of the EuroStar trains seen in Europe, they truly have a continental train network over there. Of Amtrak's routes, I think the Lake Shore Limited, despite its punctuality, gets my favorite vote.
 #1219958  by CarterB

Favorites: Currently ... any German ICE train, smooth as glass, quiet, efficient and great scenery. Past...Broadway Ltd, Panama Ltd, and Southern Crescent.

Least liked: Currently..Pennsylvanian, Late Shore Ltd............past...Any Conrail operated passenger service....just plain lousy.
 #1219973  by Ocala Mike

Favorites: Toss-up between the current California Zephyr and the State of Maine Express, circa 1953.

Least Favorite: The National Limited, circa 1972, with broken down A/C in July.
 #1220495  by MattW

Favorite: NYC Subway (transit); Long Island Railroad EMU services (never ridden diesels) (non-transit)

Least Favorite: Boston Green Line (transit); Acela Express (non-transit)
 #1220979  by NH2060

Hmm good question.

If we're talking by comfort:

Least Favorite:
MBTA MBB coaches
VRE/SLE Mafersa coaches

Most Favorite:
NE Regional
Acela Express

If we're talking by design and/or paint scheme:

Least Favorite:
NJT Multilevels (they could look less "humpy")

Most Favorite:
NH/PC "American Flyer" and 8600 series coaches
NH/PC/Conrail/MNR FL-9s
Nippon Sharyo EMUs, DMUs, gallery cars
MNR/LIRR M-7s
MNR/ConnDOT M-6s and M-8s
MNR/ConnDOT Shoreliners and Comet Vs
MBTA BBD coaches/Bi levels
CN/CP/VIA diesels and coaching stock (circa late 1970s, early 1980s)
British Rail Class 43 (HST 125), 180, 220/221, 444, 450, 800/801, among others
 #1221169  by rogruth

Until about 1954 the B&O had a train from Huntington to Wheeling ,WVa and return.The @ 230 mile trip took about eight hours and was said to be the shortest route that had a Pullman sleeper in its consist.This was a night trip.Besides the Pullman there was usually a coach,a mail/baggage and a milk car.I and a friend would be the only two that made the whole trip and often would be the only ones on the train between many stations.Sound awful?Maybe to some but I loved it.The crew was very friendly and was usually the same when I rode about nine times a year.It was also pulled by steam.

I don't have a least favorite.