Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1218424  by MattW

One thing has always bugged me about the <7> train express. Namely, where do the empty trainsets go? Since the most tracks is three, and there are no yards in Manhattan, and I know they don't put deadhead the empty trains back onto the express track, so what do they do? Do they just run increased local frequencies, or do they perhaps run an increase in the outbound train frequency, but not necessarily the stopping train frequency? Then how do they get <7> trainsets back into Manhattan in the evening?

This is tangentially related, but how fast are trains allowed to pass platforms? Here in Atlanta I heard from someone that deadheading MARTA trains (we have no express trains yet) must slow to 30mph when passing a platform, now I know 30mph is not exactly slow for NYC Subway trains especially in the core areas, but is there a global limit, or is track speed allowed?
Last edited by MattW on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1218430  by mvb119

Having ridden the line everyday up until last spring, they just turn back around as a local train, and then go back to Corona Yard once that volume of trains is no longer needed.
 #1218668  by lirr42

<7> express service is a kinda finicky thing. It's not so much increased frequencies, it's more spliting local services into an local and epxress service. After all, they only have two tracks from Times Square to Queensboro Plaza, so they're limited by that. They're not so much providing more frequent service at intermediate stops, but rather reducing the actual trip times for people going in the peak direction.

When it comes time to start taking trains out of service they'll have trains drop off early (i.e. not running all the way to Flushing Main Street) and head straight into the yard. 111st is often the last stop for a handful of trains towards the end of the rush.

The opposite occurs in the morning, they'll put trains into service at 111th street right out of the yard.
 #1220463  by lirr42

Passenger wrote:Does the new extension to the Javits Center have additional storage tracks anywhere along the line?
If it did it wouldn't help. No matter what you do you'll still have that double-tracked portion between TSQ and Queensboro Plaza. That's the real limiting factor.
 #1220791  by Fan Railer

Passenger wrote:Interesting.

Does the new extension to the Javits Center have additional storage tracks anywhere along the line?
There will be tail tracks that lead to an underground storage yard around the 23rd street area.
 #1220905  by Thomas

Fan Railer wrote:here will be tail tracks that lead to an underground storage yard around the 23rd street area.
Where will the new interlockings be located?
 #1220906  by Fan Railer

Thomas wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:here will be tail tracks that lead to an underground storage yard around the 23rd street area.
There will be a double crossover just north of the 34th street station, since that is to be the terminal.
There will be another interlocking just before the entrance to the storage yard at 23rd street since that is logical.
 #1223522  by Fan Railer

Fan Railer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
There will be a double crossover just north of the 34th street station, since that is to be the terminal.
There will be another interlocking just before the entrance to the storage yard at 23rd street since that is logical.
Corrections: http://www.mta.info/capconstr/7ext/imag ... 4-2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;