Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1217877  by ricebrianrice

Ok, The last time I rode the subway I was a kid with my father in the 70's.

My wife and I are taking a bus trip to the city, we are planning on going to the 911 memorial, we are being dropped off near Time Square.

I think I want to take the E train from Port authority to World Trade Center, but other suggestions?

What/How am I going to pay for this ride? Do I have to buy a metro card, or can I just pay cash? Do I need exact change if paying cash, can I use a credit/debit card?

Thanks
 #1217885  by Thomas

You can purchase a Metrocard at the vending machine.

WHEN are you planning on doing this trip?

The reason why I ask is because there is sometimes construction on the subway...This would impact which route you take to the WTC Memorial.
 #1217908  by lirr42

You can take a downtown (A), (C), or (E) train to either Chambers Street for the (A) or (C) or World Trade Center for the (E). There are no planned disruptions on the (A)(C) or (E) that would affect your trip tomorrow. You could also take the (2) or (3) to Park Place that will get you where you need to go as well.

When you get to either WTC/Chambers Street/Park Place follow signs for the 9/11 memorial. Certain exits put you closer than others.

And yes, one MetroCard can be used for up to four people every 18 minutes. I'd recommend putting $9.55 on it. That should give you $10.03 with the bonus, which is enough for four rides and almost no money leftover. (there is a $1 fee for a new card if you don't already have one)
 #1217914  by ricebrianrice

What is the bonus?

If I read things right on the MTA website the trip is 2.50/person,

Why do I see reduced fares of 1.25, What is that?
 #1217916  by lirr42

ricebrianrice wrote:What is the bonus?

If I read things right on the MTA website the trip is 2.50/person,

Why do I see reduced fares of 1.25, What is that?
When you buy a pay-per-ride MetroCard you get a 5% bonus. If you get a $10 card you will get a $0.50 bonus (which you can't use). The trick for occasional travelers is to take advantage of the bonus and get within pennies of what you need (because what good is a 50 cent MetroCard if you don't live in NY?)

Yes, trips are $2.50 per person. Two trips for two people will come to $10. ($9.55 if you want to take advantage of the bonus).

Reduced fare options are available to primary/secondary school students, seniors, or disabled people who get special MetroCards which only deduct half fare. But you have to be enrolled in a program in advance for that.