Railroad Forums 

• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1203636  by GE45tonner

New England does have Essex and North Conway, but seeing Steam on the G&U would be awesome!

Financially, how is Edaville doing these days?
 #1215005  by drvmusic

I just visited Edaville for the first time in decades on Saturday and I was beyond impressed with the expansion project that is going on there! Nice to see that old F3 turned F10 there in its original (pre-MBTA) color scheme.

From what I've heard, in addition to renovating the railroad, they will add 23 more amusement rides! I found it to be a day well spent with the fam and I can't wait to see what the place is like after all of the renovations!

I do miss the Edaville of my youth and the longer ride, but I'm so glad the owner didn't sell to the developers and is re-building!
 #1216854  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="On September 22, 2013 In an article entitled "Edaville on track for expansion", Robert Knox, Globe Correspondent"]
Edaville on track for expansion
In Carver, Edaville’s plans have neighbors wary

The Edaville train in snow during christmas lights festival.

Edaville Railroad, the railroad theme park founded 65 years ago on a cranberry farm in Carver, has big new plans to broaden its appeal as a nostalgic celebration of small town America while adding rides such as a roller coaster and a water ride.

But some of the park’s neighbors have raised concerns over how its expansion would affect traffic and drainage in their Pine Street and Cherry Hill Drive neighborhood.

Neighbors collected 30 signatures on a petition asking the town to withhold all approvals until “such time as a traffic survey and a wetlands/drainage survey can be performed to guarantee that emergency vehicles will be able to get to our neighborhood without delay and no further water damage will be done to surrounding areas.”

Town officials said that when Edaville USA sought a permit from the Planning Board recently to make improvements to its entranceway off Pine Street, neighbors got wind of the company’s master plan for a significant expansion. It’s the park’s future plans, not the cosmetic changes to the entranceway, that caused concern, town planner Jack Hunter said.

“We got a petition from residents concerned about drainage, noise, and traffic,” Hunter said. “They care about the future expansion of the park, with a roller coaster and a log flume.”

A public hearing on the changes to the entryway packed the room and led to talks that addressed most of neighbor’s concerns. “We started to get somewhere,” Hunter said.[/quote]

Read the rest of the story at The Boston Globe's web site
 #1216885  by frrc

Quote from the article...

“It’s not even remotely like the old Edaville,” Delli Priscoli said. “It’s completely focused on young children, their parents and grandparents, and siblings. We’re not chasing teenagers.”

Old Edaville RIP..

J
 #1217819  by Mr rt

You are not going to be able to pay the bills if you rely on railfans !
 #1277852  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="At 2:06 PM on Monday, June 16, 2014, In an article entitled "Thomas the Tank Engine chugs its way to first permanent U.S. theme park ", THE ASSOCIATED PRESS via The New York Daily News"]
Thomas the Tank Engine chugs its way to first permanent U.S. theme park

Thomas Land, being built on about 11 of Edaville's 250 acres, near Boston, will have 14 rides based on the television show, with the highlight being a 20-minute train ride on a life-sized Thomas the Tank Engine.

AP Thomas Land is expected to be open for business in the summer of 2015.

BOSTON — Thomas the Tank Engine, the iconic talking cartoon train that has thrilled millions of children around the world, and Edaville USA Railroad, a favorite destination of generations of southeastern New England families, are teaming up on a permanent Thomas-themed park.

Groundbreaking on the first Thomas Land in the U.S. is scheduled for next month, and the park is expected to open for business in summer 2015. There are two other Thomas Lands, in the United Kingdom and Japan, but the Carver version would be the biggest.

"Thomas fits Edaville like a glove," Edaville owner Jon Delli Priscoli said.

Thomas Land, being built on about 11 of Edaville's 250 acres, will have 14 rides based on the television show, with the highlight being a 20-minute train ride on a life-sized Thomas the Tank Engine. A roller coaster, drop tower, Ferris wheel and other rides will feature more Thomas characters, including Toby, Cranky the Crane and Harold the Helicopter. Children will even be able to meet Sir Topham Hatt, the railroad's administrator.

Edaville, which is still an active cranberry farm, and Carver are the perfect spot for Thomas Land, said Julie Freeland, director of live events for Hit Entertainment, a division of Fisher-Price, which owns the Thomas brand.

Read more at The New York Daily News' web site
[/quote]
 #1277943  by b&m 1566

I've never been to Edaville, so I never got to experience what it was like before it closed and going by what I've read, it was never the same when it reopened and certainly not after they abandoned a portion of the loop. This Thomas land sounds promising and is probably the best chance to keeping Edaville alive.
 #1288503  by MaineCoonCat

Edaville USA posted this photo of the "Thomasland" groundbreaking yesterday on their Facebook page.

#1289075  by Cosmo

Is there any truth to the rumor they are building a third loco to be "quasi Thomas/James/Percy"?
 #1289082  by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:Is there any truth to the rumor they are building a third loco to be "quasi Thomas/James/Percy"?
I have my doubts... But I do know they kept the unused parts that didn't go from the anaconda copper engines into No. 11.
 #1306638  by MaineCoonCat

Just caught "Massachusetts' Maine Attraction" from 1991 on RFD-TV. Wow did that bring back memories...There is a "added commentary" version on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQVd55iIbU
 #1595604  by GP40MC1118

Wicked Local wrote:Delli Priscoli, 65, said it’s a tough decision, and it’s his hope that a potential buyer will come forward, because there are so many possibilities for a new owner to explore.

“It’s time for new energy,” he said. “Our preference would be to see that the park continue on. It needs new energy, new vision.”
. . .
One option he is exploring is an expansion referred to as Edaville 2.0, showcasing a year-round facility with the expansion of indoor and outdoor venues featuring shopping, dining and entertainment.

In addition to transitioning Edaville to new ownership, Priscoli will work to reposition a portion of the land holdings not central to the park for a master-planned residential development to meet Carver’s requirement to follow the MBTA’s community zoning initiative for a 50-acre parcel for multifamily housing or he will pursue a Chapter 40B affordable housing project on the site.
. . .
While he hopes to have a new owner in place later this summer, he is planning to reopen it himself one last time.
https://www.wickedlocal.com/story/carve ... 289248001/
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: please remember to include a brief quote when posting links to news stories