Railroad Forums 

• Who knows what these things are (Transformers/Schnabel cars)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1213518  by Snowmojoe

I was out running a few errands today, which took me down by the Wyckoff train station for the first time in a little while. I passed by the station and saw this going on - what looks like a couple of huge industrial refrigeration or maybe AC units being unloaded from flatcars on a siding by the station.

The one that was still on the flatcar was labeled "SIEMENS DRY AIR" on one end. Does anyone know what they are and what they're for? I thought maybe they were for the Shop Rite that is supposedly going into the building in the background.

I saw them get hauled past my house a few days ago and figured they were being taken much further up the line, so I was quite surprised to see them in town today.
 #1213880  by Snowmojoe

Damn; The Wife™ was hoping this meant progress was being made on the Shoprite that is going in to that building in the background. Oh well. I guess this was just a nice easy place to unload them?
 #1214013  by Snowmojoe

Another load of these just went past my house; quite a strange configuration. There was at least one of these transformers again (I was looking through the trees in my neighbor's yard so my vision was partly obscured). It was being pulled by a CSX GP (didn't get the road #) and then pushing at the other end was a Norfolk Southern GP (again, no road #).
 #1214058  by Snowmojoe

Upon further review; it was Norfolk Southern 5294 and CSX 2732, the Usual Suspects around here. And I swore that when it went by, I saw a caboose, but I figured I had to be mistaken. But lo and behold, I was not:
 #1214062  by Snowmojoe

Some more pics... That's quite an axle set-up on that flat car (or whatever you'd call it). They uncoupled 5294, moved it over to the siding, and picked up the empty flats from yesterday, and then pulled back out, backed up, uncoupled 2732 and pulled the entire load off the main onto the siding. Then they must have uncoupled this new transformer and left it there to be unloaded, because the two GPs just went back past my house with nothing but the two empty flats in between them.
 #1214726  by Snowmojoe

That last one on the depressed center flatcar just went past my house sandwiched in between Susquehanna 3014 and NS 5294.
 #1214970  by Snowmojoe

Yes, that looks like the first two that were unloaded.
 #1214972  by Snowmojoe

This is the last one on the depressed center flatcar that was brought up yesterday morning.