Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1193041  by Thomas

What is a busier segment of the Lexington Avenue Line--125th street to Grand Central or Grand Central to Bowling Green?
 #1194257  by hi55us

Thomas wrote:What is a busier segment of the Lexington Avenue Line--125th street to Grand Central or Grand Central to Bowling Green?
During rush hour, it's packed the whole way (I used to commute from 86 to Fulton St. every day).

If there's a delay, it's much worse north of 42nd, since they can't switch trains from the local to express tracks (2 different levels).
 #1194339  by Thomas

I just hope that the Second Avenue Subway does a good job of relieving congestion issues on the Lexington Avenue Line. I also hope that Phases 2 and three of the Second Avenue Subway get built, too.
 #1194455  by hi55us

Thomas wrote:I just hope that the Second Avenue Subway does a good job of relieving congestion issues on the Lexington Avenue Line. I also hope that Phases 2 and three of the Second Avenue Subway get built, too.
It will certainly help, as I'll be taking it downtown instead of the 4/5/6. They just need to hurry up!
 #1197562  by Thomas

I think that it will be a real shame if the SAS Phase 2 does NOT begin construction in the next capital plan...
 #1199176  by 7express

Thomas wrote:I just hope that the Second Avenue Subway does a good job of relieving congestion issues on the Lexington Avenue Line. I also hope that Phases 2 and three of the Second Avenue Subway get built, too.

Unfortunately, I'll be dead before the Second Avenue Subway finishes completition, and I'm only 26 :(
 #1202515  by CComMack

The worst crowding happens in the AM rush, heading downtown approaching Grand Central. This is why people aren't too worried about East Side Access overcrowding the Lex; there's more space leaving Grand Central in the AM, in either direction. (Also, most ESA riders will walk to their final destinations.) The stations in the GCT-Bowling Green segment may have overall higher ridership than the 125th-GCT segment, however, but that ridership is more evenly distributed by direction and time.
 #1202581  by Thomas

CComMack wrote:The worst crowding happens in the AM rush, heading downtown approaching Grand Central. This is why people aren't too worried about East Side Access overcrowding the Lex; there's more space leaving Grand Central in the AM, in either direction. (Also, most ESA riders will walk to their final destinations.) The stations in the GCT-Bowling Green segment may have overall higher ridership than the 125th-GCT segment, however, but that ridership is more evenly distributed by direction and time.
I actually thought that the south segment was busier...

But with what you just said, is Phase 2 funding (and construction) likely to be included in the MTA's 2015-2019 capital plan?
 #1202691  by CComMack

Thomas wrote:
CComMack wrote:The worst crowding happens in the AM rush, heading downtown approaching Grand Central. This is why people aren't too worried about East Side Access overcrowding the Lex; there's more space leaving Grand Central in the AM, in either direction. (Also, most ESA riders will walk to their final destinations.) The stations in the GCT-Bowling Green segment may have overall higher ridership than the 125th-GCT segment, however, but that ridership is more evenly distributed by direction and time.
I actually thought that the south segment was busier...

But with what you just said, is Phase 2 funding (and construction) likely to be included in the MTA's 2015-2019 capital plan?
Nothing I said precluded the GCT-Bowling Green segment being busier, defining "busier" as "higher total ridership". If you want to define busier some other way, Mr. Humpty Dumpty, that falls on you.

Nothing I said had remotely any bearing on SAS Phase 2 funding, either positively or negatively.

Was something I said just too difficult to understand? I didn't think so, but I can't help but get the idea that somehow reading what I wrote caused your understanding of the situation to decrease.
 #1202744  by Thomas

But, with all of the problems on the Lexington Avenue Line, what is the MTA doing to prepare for Phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway?
 #1203120  by JoshKarpoff

The MTA has made no public announcements about any forward motion on phase 2 of the SAS.
They have not allocated any funds to start any preliminary engineering designs or anything else that would be required.
The current stated plan is to finish all the current mega-projects, pay off some debt and work on smaller capital projects for the next capital plan.
With the current unfavorable fiscal climate in Albany and Congress and the still shaky economic recovery, there isn't much money to be had for another large capital project right now.
The only option currently left open to the MTA is to borrow more capital improvement money from the bond markets, but their credit rating is pretty bad because of their already huge debt load and debt service already eats up something like 30% of the MTA's operating budget.

In short, even though it would probably be comparatively easier to build than any of the current mega-projects, because of the expense, schedule over-runs and lack of available funds, any progress on phase 2 is going to be back-burnered for at least another 5 years.
 #1203280  by Thomas

JoshKarpoff wrote:he MTA has made no public announcements about any forward motion on phase 2 of the SAS.
They have not allocated any funds to start any preliminary engineering designs or anything else that would be required.
The current stated plan is to finish all the current mega-projects, pay off some debt and work on smaller capital projects for the next capital plan.
With the current unfavorable fiscal climate in Albany and Congress and the still shaky economic recovery, there isn't much money to be had for another large capital project right now.
The only option currently left open to the MTA is to borrow more capital improvement money from the bond markets, but their credit rating is pretty bad because of their already huge debt load and debt service already eats up something like 30% of the MTA's operating budget.

In short, even though it would probably be comparatively easier to build than any of the current mega-projects, because of the expense, schedule over-runs and lack of available funds, any progress on phase 2 is going to be back-burnered for at least another 5 years.
That's a real shame. But isn't it true that preliminary engineering and environmental impact statements were completed for phase 2?
 #1203338  by Backshophoss

MTA Capital Construction is basicly MAXXED out right now.
Some of these projects will have to wait awhile for funding,etc...
Let ESA and SAS wind down before starting anything new,the timeline is open ended for now.
 #1203526  by Thomas

Backshophoss wrote:MTA Capital Construction is basicly MAXXED out right now.
Some of these projects will have to wait awhile for funding,etc...
Let ESA and SAS wind down before starting anything new,the timeline is open ended for now.
ESA and SAS Phase 1 will be much more winded down by the time that 2016 rolls around... Is that really an excuse for Phase 2 not to get built?
 #1203579  by Backshophoss

Basicly YES,Capital Construction will be still MAXXED out in 2016.
Will be MAXXED out till 2018-19.