Railroad Forums 

• Quiz...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1198406  by Teamdriver

Thank you , My Rail , it was a hard fought battle, but i persevered by ducking , dodging , and sometimes hiding . No really , i won by deflection from the main topic. Your pictures did remind me of the camelback Mack truck suspension, from a sales brochure of same that i retained back to pre- Big Dig times when i almost bought a Mack dump truck to sign on to the fun, but passed on the opportunity . Did you know that Anchor Steam is shipped refridgerated from the brewery , so when you go to get some from the packy, make sure its in the cold box. Barrels of it ( ie draft beer ) are always kept cold, and except for being bounced few tough concrete steps into the cellar at Doyle's , receive the care and treatment commensurate to their quality. But those boys have always run a fine establishment , so no worries ! And also I would like that fine educational institute on Ave Louis Pasteur for its help in the preparation of my skills by its hammering into me formany collective years of various foreign , and yes , ancient languages . Sláinte , et Sumus Primi ,erromenon se hoi theoi diaphulattoien !
 #1198407  by Teamdriver

Thank you , My Rail , it was a hard fought battle, but i persevered by ducking , dodging , and sometimes hiding . No really , i won by deflection from the main topic. Your pictures did remind me of the camelback Mack truck suspension, from a sales brochure of same that i retained back to pre- Big Dig times when i almost bought a Mack dump truck to sign on to the fun, but passed on the opportunity . Did you know that Anchor Steam is shipped refridgerated from the brewery , so when you go to get some from the packy, make sure its in the cold box. Barrels of it ( ie draft beer ) are always kept cold, and except for being bounced few tough concrete steps into the cellar at Doyle's , receive the care and treatment commensurate to their quality. But those boys have always run a fine establishment , so no worries ! And also I would like that fine educational institute on Ave Louis Pasteur for its help in the preparation of my skills by its hammering into me for many collective years of various foreign , and yes , ancient languages . Sláinte , et Sumus Primi ,erromenon se hoi theoi diaphulattoien !
 #1198420  by 3rdrail

Your welcome, TD ! Don't forget to send me your address on Private Message to receive your book !
 #1198518  by Arborwayfan

By analogy with anchor watch and anchor lights, I would guess that anchor steam is the small amount of steam that a ship would keep up while at anchor (that is, maybe just one boiler and/or much less than the pressure for actually steaming along, but enough to run the donkey engines for loading/unloading, the electric generators, the pumps, the heat and hot water, etc.). So kind of like idling for HEP, or running just the HEP on locomotives equipped with separate HEP generation equipment if such exist. But that's just a guess from a historian who never got closer to a steamship's works that taking the SS Naushon to the Vineyard.
 #1198530  by MBTA1016

We have two records on the same quiz. Lowest points lead ever and lowest margin of victory. Congrats to teamdriver for holding both records. Cue the song "We are the champions" By: Queen. :)
 #1198572  by 3rdrail

Mbta fan wrote:We have two records on the same quiz. Lowest points lead ever and lowest margin of victory. Congrats to teamdriver for holding both records. Cue the song "We are the champions" By: Queen. :)
I think that he also holds the record as "sole participant" in any of the quizzes ! Teamdriver is the man !
 #1198684  by 3rdrail

Arborwayfan wrote:By analogy with anchor watch and anchor lights, I would guess that anchor steam is the small amount of steam that a ship would keep up while at anchor (that is, maybe just one boiler and/or much less than the pressure for actually steaming along, but enough to run the donkey engines for loading/unloading, the electric generators, the pumps, the heat and hot water, etc.). So kind of like idling for HEP, or running just the HEP on locomotives equipped with separate HEP generation equipment if such exist. But that's just a guess from a historian who never got closer to a steamship's works that taking the SS Naushon to the Vineyard.
It's funny. My son asked me about the theory of synchronicity the other day, a phenomenon that I once told him about. (It's an interesting theory- look it up.) We recently had a Quiz here on RRN which location was an East Boston bridge. Looking at Chelsea Creek from the bridge on a Quiz photo, you could see a tanker which had come through inbound and was apparently idling. We know this as you can see exhaust coming out of a funnel, and as it was noted, a ship would not be allowed to move on it's own here without the services of tug boats. Perhaps this discussion was a synchronistic event for your interesting explanation of "anchor steam", Arborwayfan.
 #1198793  by Teamdriver

My Rail , now that you mention synchros with the tanker, I went on a few commuter ferries today ( I wanted a slice of Blackstone pizza in Haymarket and didnt want to drive ) , and on one occasion, the boat stopped dead in the water, idling , for whatever reason I cant discern. Thought it was a clogged fuel filter or something like that, as it wasnt to remedy any conflicts with other vessels or the clock, must be one of your synchros. Man that Long Island bridge looks shaky from the underside, like it came from a Lionel train set, small steel for sure. Back to the regularly scheduled Rail show now............
 #1198945  by ferroequinarchaeologist

>>and the company claims that they have no real idea how the beer got that name !

When I was in SF, I was told by an unimpeachable source at Anchor Brewing that the name came from an attempt to ride on the coattails of the popularity of steam power in the days when the company got started - 1896 - much like the sprouting of establishments with the name "atomic" in the late 1940s. Chug chug chug.

pbm
 #1198958  by 3rdrail

That one sounds entirely possible. And there were steam locomotives all over San Francisco back then, so much so that horse owners demanded and won petitions to have the steam locomotive companies cover the steam engines so that they would look like a trolley or streetcar. They were then called "steam dummies". Apparently, the horses were afraid of the steam engines but not the cable cars ! Ferro, I like your explanation particularly because it makes sense that if that was the case, one-hundred years later people would lose the meaning due to steam not exactly being the state of the art in transportation anymore and there being no real connection of "steam" to the beer itself. In any event, it's a wonderful beer. I think that I'll pick up a case today !
 #1199038  by Teamdriver

Anchor Steam® Beer derives its unusual name from the 19th century when “steam” was a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of America under primitive conditions and without ice. While the origin of the name remains shrouded in mystery, it likely relates to the original practice of fermenting the beer on San Francisco’s rooftops in a cool climate. In lieu of ice, the foggy night air naturally cooled the fermenting beer, creating steam off the warm open pans. Once a nickname for any West Coast beer brewed under these conditions, today the name “steam” is a trademark of Anchor Brewing and applies only to the singular process and taste of our flagship brand - San Francisco’s original Anchor Steam® Beer. The classic of American brewing tradition since 1896.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/anchor_steam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1200509  by Arborwayfan

Well, now we know. So much for me and Ferro, who both made sense even if we were wrong. :)
 #1200739  by 3rdrail

(1) Where is the photographer specifically up on the elevated, and (2) what stop is the train ahead about to stop at next ? (3) What era is this photo ? (4) I put a bunch of roses on this train for Cosmos girlfriend Wanda, who I'm told works as "Station Master" at the "last stop". Are the flowers likely to get there ? (5) Within 10 lbs. either way, what rail weight do we have here ?
Five questions. 20 points per questions. Usual policies apply. Good luck !