Railroad Forums 

• Remembering a derailment on somerset railway.

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#214681  by Mattliverpool

Does anyone remember a derailment of a somerset in the late 1980's. Just outside of Lockport NY. Conrail was heading the train. I wonder if anyone has information or pictures. Thank you very much for all your help.

Matt
 #215596  by Matt Langworthy

I don't have any pics but IIRC the engineer for running the train at 57mph on tracks with a speed limit of 25mph. The train derailed on a bridge and some of the loaded hoppers fell to the ground below it. The engineer was found to be at fault...

#217029  by charlie6017

I never heard of this one, but I would guess it ran away. There's a pretty sharp grade on the line just north of Lockport. Can anyone else add to this?

#228374  by NS59

Actually the 57 mph accident was only a couple years ago, I believe the one in question involved vandals placing ties and such on the tracks near the cemetary just North of the bridge.
 #436177  by Fred Olka

Yep there were two The first one in the mid to late 80's. Vandals did indeed place ties in a cross pattern and dumped the locos and a number of cars. The second involved a derailment at the Gulf Summit bridge. From what I heard the engineer did not use dynamics on account of a "kicker" in the train. It was the last 5-6 cars that went off the bridge. Now some interesting info about the line. The Somerset line was built on parts of the EL lowertown branch,then it uses the old row or runs along the IRC trolley line headin north towards Olcott, And finally uses a short segment of the Hojack. OK I'm done.

#436860  by CSXT 700

If you have a kicker in the train you would want to use dymamics. A kicker refers to a car that when you set the air on the train to slow down, it puts the train into emergency. "Kickers" usualy have to do with stuck valves, and contanaments in the train line.

#437377  by Fred Olka

Hey CSXT700 thanks for the info.I always wondered what a kicker was. I guess he was afraid of the train goin into emergency. I went up to the wreck site well after thing were back to normal. Wow! the gouges in the ties displaced ballast the walk way bashed to snot. somethin else.

#437483  by TB Diamond

Fred O:

At Burt, just east of NY Route 78, I did some exploring back in the early 1970s. Found the Olcott Beach interurban line East Hojack underpass remains (stone abutments, underpass filled in years before). Were these demolished when the Somerset line was constructed?

FYI:"Kicker" a/k/a "dynamiter", at least on the old BN several years ago. Had many to contend with, alas.

#438073  by Fred Olka

TB Diamond. I know the bridge that carried the Hojack over 18mile creek is still there . I'm thinkin I may have to drive out there to check that out for you. I'll give you a report on my return. My guess is it's probally gone.

#438353  by hojackjoe

It's still there. Take the path that leads down to the creek bed, turn left and you'll be under the bridge.

#438490  by TB Diamond

Fred O:

Found the slide I took of the filled in IRY underpass. The east stone abutment was poking out of the cinder fill, but the west abutment was covered over. Was facing north when I took the photo, standing in the IRY cut, October, 1972.

#440611  by Fred Olka

Still have'nt made it out there yet. By the way there was yet another accident last saturday involving a somerset train. This time it was a collision with a car stuck on the tracks at RT 31 & RT425. I think minor injuries only. I trying to figure out how the car was stuck on the tracks. The grade crossings have both be redone recently,which leads me to believe the vehicle was somewhere it should not have been. If it stalled on the crossing ,put in neutral and push. Or if you don't have time ,get out of the car ,get away from it and call the insurance company . You can report the accident as it happens!

Re:

#1197171  by RussNelson

TB Diamond wrote:Fred O:

Found the slide I took of the filled in IRY underpass. The east stone abutment was poking out of the cinder fill, but the west abutment was covered over. Was facing north when I took the photo, standing in the IRY cut, October, 1972.
Wow, I just now found out about the IRY route to Olcott Beach. I've got to re-read my entire collection of railroad books ... makes me wonder what else I'm missing!

Have you seen that railroad on any map? I just took a stab in the dark on its routing but I'm sure I'm wrong: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/3058178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1197231  by charlie6017

Russ, I think you're pretty accurate with that. I'll have to dig out my gazetteer and take a look and
see if I can find anything further. I think you're pretty much spot-on though.

For what it's worth, I think the Somerset railway is a pretty remarkable stretch of railroad for being
as relatively short as it is, with a down-grade and a curved bridge and parts of the old Hojack, to me
it's very interesting! ;-)

Charlie