Railroad Forums 

• quiet car subway, solution in search of a problem

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1179739  by Patrick Boylan

I think I had heard a while ago, and just 2 days ago noticed, Philadelphia's Port Authority Transit Corporation has designated the last car to be a quiet car. There's so much ambient noise on every subway I've ridden, I cant' figure what the advantage of a quiet car would be, especially on the underground part.

My opinion also is that if people would just generally follow common courtesy, and common sense, there'd be no need for quiet cars anywhere.
 #1179755  by electricron

Patrick Boylan wrote:My opinion also is that if people would just generally follow common courtesy, and common sense, there'd be no need for quiet cars anywhere.
The problem is that not everyone has common sense, nor has common courtesy. It only takes one to ruin the environment for everyone else in the car.
 #1179759  by ExCon90

And PATCO spends far more time running on the surface than underground (and those trains run pretty quietly outdoors). Hell, if everyone had common sense and common courtesy (why do we call them common when they're so obviously not?) we wouldn't even need people to pick up trash, but that day is not here..