Railroad Forums 

• Former Gardner Coal City And Northern Railroad

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#886040  by leithonrailfan17

Good evening,

I am interested in the history of the former gardner coal city and northern railroad which had been a seventeen mile illinois short line railroad dating back to the nineteenth century which during that time period the gardner coal city and northern had been purchased by the elgin joliet and eastern railroad which the seventeen miles of trackage that had once been operated by the gardner coal city and northern railroad is what is today known as the CN (former EJ&E) Illinois River Subdivision between walker and goose lake and I had been wondering if anyone knows what had happened to any equipment such as rolling stock and locomotives of the gardner coal city and northern railroad and was wondering if any of the equipment of the gardner coal city and northern railroad does exist today being operated by another railroad. any information would be helpful and I am most likely looking for any information with equipment with the logo of the gardner coal city and northern since I am interested in what there logo and paint scheme had looked like?

thanks.
 #1190655  by Mark_K

This line was purchased by the EJ&E around 1890. The oresent southern terminus is Goose Lake/Clay Pit just south of the Illinois Rover but old maps show it running firther south to, no surprise, Gardner and surrounding areas. Does anyone know when and where it was cut back to Goose Lake and wether or not it interchanged with the Chicago & Alton in or around Gardner?