Railroad Forums 

• Vero Beach

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1165963  by Teutobergerwald

Saw only one train, a southbound at the Route 510 crossing, Thursday night around 10pm. Mixed COFC, TOFC, boxcars, aggregate hoppers, gondolas and empty centerbeam and bulkhead flatcars. Didnt see the power, but it was hauling ass. Still took about 3-4 minutes to pass, though, so it was a long one.
 #1178586  by Teutobergerwald

FEC still serving the lumber/building materials customer in Vero Beach ? When I was down at the Disney Vero Beach resort at the end of March I couldn't tear myself away from the beach and pool to go check it out like I did back in 2001 and 2003 when I was there....
 #1316359  by Teutobergerwald

Is Vero Beach going to be served by the new passenger service on the FEC ???
 #1316365  by deathtopumpkins

No, AAF will only stop in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Orlando.
 #1316368  by Teutobergerwald

Too bad. I would've liked to have taking the train from Orlando to Vero Beach as an option.
 #1316524  by electricron

And so would many others at every other city and town along FEC corridor. But with a stop at every city or town along the way, the train will no longer be a high speed train. AAF needs the higher speeds to attract riders at the price they wish to charge if they hope to achieve any profit.

Yes, there are many who have suggested that all passenger trains require a subsidy. Well, that's true when asking lower fares to attract more riders. Amtrak could turn a profit if they just charged 10 to 15% higher fares. But Amtrak's long distance trains don't go fast enough to attract riders at higher fares. AAF needs the faster speeds, and therefore limited station stops....
 #1316525  by kaitoku

Hopefully in the future commuter rail will allow those living in communities not served by AAF to take the train to a station that is, but that requires integrated scheduling, as well as frequent (or at least consistent) service all day Mon~Sun, not just in the morning and evening weekdays.
 #1393655  by Teutobergerwald

Will be in Wabasso on vacation next week, just up A1A from Vero Beach. When can I catch FEC passing through Vero??? Any locals, or just unit-trains through there? Thanks.
 #1417818  by Teutobergerwald

Headed that way soon, again. Any FEC movements to be seen in daylight or early evening in Vero nowadays?
 #1447116  by Teutobergerwald

Hey. Can anyone share times info on FEC movements through Vero Beach? Will be down at Vero (Wabasso Beach, actually) soon on vacation and want to catch FEC. Also, does FEC still serve the team track, or was it a privately owned spur in town in Vero that received flatcars and boxcars of lumber & wrapped sheetrock ?????? I remember seeing the 431 switching that spur in February, 2001, the first time I was in Vero on vacation- two Cotton Belt double-door boxcars and two CP Rail 60' bulkhead flatcars were spotted, and three BN boxcars and two TTZX center beam flatcars were pulled out. Subsequently, my 2003 visit had a pair of DRGW double-door boxcars and two Soo Line bulkhead flatcars spotted, but no other action, despite checking two other times when in town from the resort. My 2013 trip had nothing spotted there.....
 #1509104  by Teutobergerwald

Any local action in Vero Beach ? Will be there soon and would love to catch a local switching the team track in town, if it's still used. Have seen some work there in the past.
 #1529727  by Teutobergerwald

Almost got caught at the SR 60 crossing in Vero Friday night. The redlights were flashing and bells ringing, but the gates remained upright, 30+ seconds. WTF ????? The PICK-UPS behind me laid-on their horns and were screaming all sorts of invective for having stopped and not crossed. Quickly darted across. Again, WTF ???????
 #1560100  by Teutobergerwald

A year ago tonight I was in Vero, at the Disney Resort, one of my favorite places on Earth. Anything new with FEC in Vero, since then? Still serving the team track in town? Have seen some interesting boxcars and flatcars spotted there, in past visits.