Railroad Forums 

• PAR SD40-2s (MEC 600 series and 3400 series)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1174392  by BigLou80

It seems they wasted no time putting these engines in to service. Starting yesterday( or maybe monday) every west bound mixed freights I see has at least one NS unit. It has also been my very casual observation that the trains seem shorter in the past few days .
 #1174459  by MEC407

Stephen wrote:And one other question, will the paperwork for this need to be submitted to the FRA as with the Helm-HLCX leases? Or since NS is part owner of the PAS are they "leasing these units to themselves"?
The agency you're thinking of is the Surface Transportation Board (STB). Unfortunately I can't answer the question because I don't know what the terms of this arrangement are, but I'll keep an eye on the STB web site and if I see anything interesting I'll post it. :) (I just searched their site and can't find anything on those particular NS numbers.)
 #1174567  by newpylong

There probably won't be any filings.

Shorter trains aren't necessarily a bad thing, it means they are running every day, 100 cars or 10.
 #1177602  by MEC407

doublestack wrote:NS SD40-2 #3489 found it's way into Portland's Rigby yard this week...
That would be South Portland's Rigby Yard... unless the City of Portland is attempting to claim it as their own. :wink:

(I can almost hear a few particular voices in South Portland City Hall saying "Fine, let 'em have it!" :P)
 #1177682  by newpylong

I am pretty sure they all will be. Recently bought from FURX by NS and rebuilt. Funny to see a Class 1 buy engines back from a leasing company.
 #1177702  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:Funny to see a Class 1 buy engines back from a leasing company.
I would say that's a pretty sure sign of an improving economy if I've ever heard of one. Lots of "Help Wanted" signs around here, way more than anything I've seen in 4-5 years.
 #1177710  by MEC407

Is NS actually rebuilding the ex-FURX units or just giving them a tune-up and makeover? If they were putting them through a full rebuild I would assume that they'd get new Admiral cabs, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
 #1177886  by Stephen

MEC407 wrote:Is NS actually rebuilding the ex-FURX units or just giving them a tune-up and makeover? If they were putting them through a full rebuild I would assume that they'd get new Admiral cabs, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
So, at least according to http://www.altoonaworks.info and http://www.rrpicturearchives.net, no they were not rebuilt.

One interesting note, they are all BN heritage locomotives. So, these units and the current HLCX units all share that history.

As for what's showed up here in comments here and pictures on NERAIL, the current list appears to be NS 3468, 3470, 3474, 3476, 3482, and 3489.
Are all of these currently assigned to PAS? Or were some just run through power?
Does anyone know the other 4 units headed to PAS from NS?

Thanks,
Stephen
 #1178113  by doublestack

MEC407 wrote:Is NS actually rebuilding the ex-FURX units or just giving them a tune-up and makeover? If they were putting them through a full rebuild I would assume that they'd get new Admiral cabs, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
According to this list 70 units will be re-built with the new admiral cab. http://www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_sd40-2a.html
 #1178201  by Stephen

doublestack wrote:According to this list 70 units will be re-built with the new admiral cab. http://www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_sd40-2a.html
I don't think (for now) this includes the group of ex FURX nee BN units.
I believe the 32XX-33XX are ex SOU high nose units and the 60XX and 61XX units are for N&W units.

That is not to say that NS won't rebuild them (they certainly keep Altoona busy) just saying that it doesn't appear that these units are in the program at this point.

Stephen