Railroad Forums 

• Lower Montauk Division Discussion

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1176637  by DaveBarraza

Thanks.

So verbal on NYA secondary, then an S card at Bliss, or signal indications at Jay? Do they still use the S card, or does form L cover that?

No cowboy hats required, at least at restricted speed!
 #1176667  by EM2000

The Montauk Cutoff and C Secondaries are now part of this NYAR controlled area so it's verbal as well.
 #1176876  by tj48

Not being overly familiar with the Montauk Cutoff does anyone know what the NYA plans to use it for?
 #1176908  by R36 Combine Coach

tj48 wrote:Not being overly familiar with the Montauk Cutoff does anyone know what the NYA plans to use it for?
The cutoff is used by NYA to access the Arch Street (LIC) freight terminal, which has few customers now and will be replaced with a new terminal at the former Wheelspur yard. To access Arch Street, NYA goes over the cutoff to Yard A tail track and reverses west toward Arch Street. Reverse is done outward. Most likely the site of Arch Street terminal will be either used for ESA or sold for redevlopment.
 #1176917  by freightguy

End of an era. To think 20 years ago that was the LIRR's main base of freight operations. The wheelspur yard is probably about a fifth of the size of the current Arch St yards including the leads approaching down there. You could store a lot of cars on those leads if the need arose. It may match the size of the current LIC team yard. The wheelspur area will probably pale in comparision to what of could of been achieved at Yard A. A major hindance is the inability to get current Plate F boxcars to either area.
 #1177128  by jayrmli

At Fresh Pond. 17 foot boxcars can not clear the subway bridge right in the middle of the yard. Several crews have tried it with no success...

Once you get past there, the entire overbuild at the west end of the yard also can not accept those cars.
 #1177188  by redline43

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I'm but a bit confused. Does the 8:11a inbound from Jamaica that used to travel via the Lower Mountak travel over the Main Line now? And if so, what is the point of skipping HPA?
 #1177271  by jetset

redline43 wrote:Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I'm but a bit confused. Does the 8:11a inbound from Jamaica that used to travel via the Lower Mountak travel over the Main Line now? And if so, what is the point of skipping HPA?
It travels over the mainline and still skips HPA which does not make any sense! Someone posted the ridership west of Jamaica was about 20 pax. That number could easily be 200 if it stopped at HPA.
 #1177361  by Doc Emmet Brown

Why would it be 200 if it stopped at hunterspoint? People can catch the 7 at LIC at vernon Jackson ave too..
 #1177363  by DaveBarraza

"At Fresh Pond. 17 foot boxcars can not clear the subway bridge right in the middle of the yard. Several crews have tried it with no success..."

Even with a running start!?!?!

Thanks. I'm thinking of building that low bridge into my model of FPY now...

8-D
 #1177475  by lirr42

jetset wrote:
redline43 wrote:Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I'm but a bit confused. Does the 8:11a inbound from Jamaica that used to travel via the Lower Mountak travel over the Main Line now? And if so, what is the point of skipping HPA?
It travels over the mainline and still skips HPA which does not make any sense! Someone posted the ridership west of Jamaica was about 20 pax. That number could easily be 200 if it stopped at HPA.
My morning train leaves Jamaica at 8:19, eight minutes after 507 (the train that skips HPA) leaves Jamaica, so there's no real benifit to meddling with that train's schedule when the next train to HPA is only eight minutes away. There also might be some sort of conflict on the platforms (i.e. 507 might not have enough time to get out of the way so 2703 can platform a few minutes later).

That's just what I make of it.
 #1177567  by DaveBarraza

Convertible M1's!!! I can see them being used on tourist lines, just like the bi-tanic prototypes!!

Any pix of this incident?