Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45DP Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1156824  by sparkyhero

I see, so the older GP40s and F40PHs were leased and return to NJ Transit/Amtrak, but the F59PHs from GO Transit were bought so they are owned by the AMT which allows them to be repainted to AMT's colors.
Last edited by sparkyhero on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1156842  by sparkyhero

I was talking about the F59PH1s that used to run on the Blainville and Vaudreuil lines. Where will they run now?
Last edited by sparkyhero on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1156927  by AMTFan1

sparkyhero wrote:I was talking about the F59PH1s which used to run on Blainville and Vaudreuil. Where will they run now?
Some of them are undergoing a major overhaul now. I think they will still run on the Candiac and Vaudreuil/Hudson lines. They are too high to enter Central Station so they won't be used on the Mont-St-Hilaire line and for the Blainville/Saint-Jérôme line, many residents living near the Saint-Antoine yard were complaining for years about the noise the F59PHIs were making when they were leaving the yard early in the morning. Since the ALP-45DPs are quieter than the F59PHIs, I think it will only be ALP-45DPs on the Blainville/Saint-Jérôme line.
 #1156972  by sparkyhero

The F59PHIs will probably be used on the Candiac line since Vaudreuil-Hudson now uses te ALP-45DPs... Any idea on how much time it will take to repaint the ex GO locomotives? I'd like to go railfanning soon and hopefully get some videos of them in action!
 #1157190  by AMTFan1

sparkyhero wrote:The F59PHIs will probably be used on the Candiac line since Vaudreuil-Hudson now uses te ALP-45DPs... Any idea on how much time it will take to repaint the ex GO locomotives? I'd like to go railfanning soon and hopefully get some videos of them in action!
For now, not all the ALP-45DPs are being used on the Vaudreuil/Hudson and Blainville/Saint-Jerôme lines. Some F59PHIs will still be used for some time on the Vaudreuil/Hudson line. For the F59PH (ex-GO locomotives, now AMT 1340 to 1349), they will receive a new 800 kW HEP generator and be modified in order to enter in Central Station. The overhaul program will end in february 2015. Here's more information at the following link:

http://www.metrodemontreal.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=16470
 #1158837  by jwhite07

Simply a matter of preference. Chevrons or "scare stripes" aren't required by any regulations, and whether or not they are effective at all is a matter of debate. There are plenty of railroads (the majority, I would say) who don't bother with them. They are an additional expense to apply and maintain, after all.
 #1164958  by ant6n

Does anybody have any data regarding the noise of these trains?
I.e.
ALP-45DP in diesel mode
vs ALP-45DP in electric mode
vs F59PH
vs MR-90

The Westmount Sub goes along some pretty populated areas, and some of the people there (esp. Westmount, Montreal-Ouest) are lobbying against increases in the number of departures because of noise. Would the new trains help significantly? Or is it better to just electrify and run the bimodal trains in electric mode?
 #1164959  by Rotax

ant6n wrote:Does anybody have any data regarding the noise of these trains?
I.e.
ALP-45DP in diesel mode
vs ALP-45DP in electric mode
vs F59PH
vs MR-90

The Westmount Sub goes along some pretty populated areas, and some of the people there (esp. Westmount, Montreal-Ouest) are lobbying against increases in the number of departures because of noise. Would the new trains help significantly? Or is it better to just electrify and run the bimodal trains in electric mode?
The ALP-45DP in diesel mode is significantly quieter than any other diesel locomotive the AMT operates. Even at full throttle, I'd say that it's not much louder than an F59PHI running at idle with its HEP running.

In electric mode, I heard just sounds like an ALP-46. It's probably comparable to the MR-90.
 #1171591  by AMTFan1

CN mignt have authorized the AMT to use the ALP-45DP locomotives on its network. The locomotives will be back on duty on the Mont-St-Hilaire line next June. For the overcrowded Deux-Montagnes line, it is still unknown when these engines will be used with the multilevel cars.

In the meantime, AMT 1365 has been sent to Oshawa for the Canadian Rail Collision & Refurbish Inc. (CRCR) in order to undergo some repairs.
 #1171826  by sparkyhero

That I don't understand, why would they authorize the ALP-45DP's to run on the Mont-Saint-Hilaire line but not Deux-Montagnes? Both go through Central Station... They should be using the ALP-45DP's on the line that needs the bilevel cars the most, and must make it a priority.
 #1171880  by ant6n

Maybe its cuz the only thing that's been running on those tracks in twenty years is the mr-90, which is much lighter. And those tracks just can't take the weight.

What I don't get is why they don't just buy/lease three or four surplus/used electric only engines that were used in the NEC, which should be lighter and ready to go, at least in terms of track and weight concerns (plus, much cheaper).
 #1171889  by sparkyhero

But why does it take so much time for CN and AMT to make a deal concerning the refurbishment of the tracks at Central Station? Construction hasn't begun yet and this is going to stall the Train de l'Est,a project that has already been delayed for four years.

Indeed, the ALP-45DP's are heavier than the MR-90's but they have been modified and all that is missing is the refurbishment of the tracks. Plus I overheard that the double-deckers might be too high for a certain part of the tunnel and could rub against the concrete wall, which might create an additional concern (then again, I didn't read about this anywhere but heard it from someone)... An AMT spokesperson declared in mid-February that CN and AMT were to meet in the following weeks in order to find a solution concerning the refurbishment of the tracks. Nearly two months have passed and there is no progress whatsoever in the negociations. So much of AMT's projects are put on hold because of these old sets of tracks...