Railroad Forums 

• Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

• Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);
Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1093867  by ashley2771

I'm pretty sure I was at Statesboro Grain, as there was what appeared to be a grain truck there this morning; there were also 3 or 4 hoppers of gravel were spotted on the Southern States peanut siding this morning. Those cars usually go to Reeves Construction further down 301; I did however notice some work going on at Southern States that they might use gravel for.
 #1093995  by G&Fman

I wish they would put that rock down on the track between 301 and 80. It's been in bad shape, although they replaced some crossties there as well as through town recently. That section looks like it doesn't get proper drainage during those heavy south Georgia rainfalls!
 #1095632  by Jeff Smith

I kind of sort of chased today; I heard her downtown around 2pm. I thought she might have been heading back. After my last appointment, about 3pm, I headed up to Dover but she wasn't there yet, so I worked backwards but never found her. I did set up some more 4SQ locations: Old River Road, Clito Rd, Maria Sorrell, and also Coley Boyd below the bypass.
 #1096438  by G&Fman

Jeff Smith wrote:Right, north of the mill. Maria Sorrell is south. The siding is still connected at Maria Sorrell; how long has the mill been closed?

The mill (Grinnell) has been closed for a good bit of years now. Back in 1997 while a senior at GSU I did a senior project at the mill when it was operational. Lot of people were employed there.....it was a busy place. The Ogeechee RR worked the mill everyday spotting loads of scrap metal and industrial sand. Sad when something like that shuts down......
 #1106935  by G&Fman

Won't be long before it gets completely covered up with weeds! I haven't had a chance to talk with the crew. They would know what's going on with it.
 #1133988  by G&Fman

That flat they're using to haul crossties was at one time an old Southern "woodrack" used to haul pulpwood back in the day. Matter of fact, there was a small woodyard in Metter years ago that loaded these cars. By the early 2000's they were all retired by NS.

I heard the horn blowing through town a few minutes ago........all the way from just outside of Brooklet!
 #1152982  by G&Fman

In related GASR news:

The state has approved for the old G&F mainline south of Kirby (Swainsboro) to Vidalia to be restored. Work will commence in the next few weeks by clearing trees / brush along the right-of-way then replacing the light rail, crossties, and ballast. The bridges (I believe there are two) will be repaired as well. All of this will be done by Utilco Railway Services of Tifton, GA.

The GASR's lease with the HOG on the Midville to Kirby section will expire in about 2 years. The plan is to have all of this done by then so that the HOG can take back over operations. This will give the HOG one complete line from Americus / Cordele to Midville. Word is that a big woodyard wants to locate on the line somewhere north of Vidalia. Also, word is that once this is done, NS will bring the pig trains from Savannah to Midville, handing them off to the HOG for the trip to Cordele. This of course will take that traffic away from the Georgia Central.

I took some pics along the overgrown line a week ago, with plans to get pics at those same locations after the work is completed or near completion. Hopefully I can get pics of the first train at these same locations as well!

The G&F will rise again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #1155908  by G&Fman

Here are some of the pics I took of the old G&F between Kirby and Vidalia. Sorry for the quality, it started raining just as soon as I got to Swainsboro and never stopped!
Attachments:
Stored Imperial sugar hoppers, just south of Kirby
Stored Imperial sugar hoppers, just south of Kirby
Hoppers_1_4_1.JPG (243.9 KiB) Viewed 8450 times
Attachments:
Nunez-Lexsy Rd, Wesley, GA
(379.51 KiB) Downloaded 8121 times
Posted at every crossing between Kirby and Vidalia
(248.47 KiB) Downloaded 8121 times