Railroad Forums 

• EMD to build North American passenger locomotives once again

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#978106  by DutchRailnut

It really does not matter who is in Charge at EMD its the Customer that counts.
So be it Commutyer or Amtrak, EMD is their bitch.....
 #978562  by Desertdweller

If there is significant fuel savings with the CAT engines, I think that may well be the deciding factor. As far as maintenance expense, there are ways around that. The locos may be acquired on a lease that includes a maintenance clause. Or, they may be sold with a service contract to cover the maintenance.

Weight is not always a disadvantage, as long as track structure can handle it. I recall my final runs as an engineer. I was running one of the new BNSF ES44 variants with A1A trucks. The center (idler) axles are suspended on arms that can raise or lower them to affect weight distribution on axles. When more tractive effort is needed, the center axle is raised slightly to transfer more weight to the powered axles. This feature, when combined with modern wheel slip control and automatic sanding, was effective handling 14,000+ ton coal trains on grades at 25 mph.

Les
 #1143648  by Fan Railer

mtuandrew wrote:Metrolink has decided to purchase this locomotive, and there's a Wikipedia page up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_F125
EMD has finally updated their site to reflect the purchase. The update also comes with new documentation on the locomotive itself:
http://www.emdiesels.com/emdweb/product ... v5RevE.pdf
 #1143678  by MEC407

Notice in the fine print that this locomotive requires urea. I personally don't have a problem with urea being used in this manner, but I thought EMD had previously gone on record as being against it and was trying to assure the railroads that they would not need to use urea in order to meet Tier 4.
 #1143686  by RickRackstop

MEC407 wrote:Notice in the fine print that this locomotive requires urea. I personally don't have a problem with urea being used in this manner, but I thought EMD had previously gone on record as being against it and was trying to assure the railroads that they would not need to use urea in order to meet Tier 4.
That's for EMD sourced diesels, i.e. the 710. Progress rail has their fingerprints all over this and the owner will probably have to go to the nearest CAT dealer for service on the diesel.
Last edited by RickRackstop on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1143689  by MEC407

Exactly, but they're marketing this as an EMD product, not a Progress Rail product... which is a smart move for sure, but also a bit misleading. I think they'd have a much harder time trying to sell this product to private railroads than to public commuter agencies and/or Amtrak.

Again, I'm not making any kind of judgment call about the C175 or the use of urea; I'm just annoyed whenever a company (ANY company) talks out of both sides of its mouth.
 #1144342  by Allen Hazen

Kaitoku--
I think the same thing. Maybe not even a different marketing strategy: the artwork shows "Electromotive" on the side of the locomotive, and the "brochure" you're asked to download for more details has the address of the Electromotive home office at the bottom of the page.

(One-page brochure with some pretty pictures, but I think no technical details not already available from things linked to in earlier posts. Model number of the AC traction motors, if that hasn't been listed.)
 #1144547  by Fan Railer

The documentation released on the EMD site is basically a more finalized version of the locomotive's specifications. Remember that Progress Rail has had a description of their conceptual passenger locomotive out for some time now, and now that an order has been won for delivery of a set of them, EMD has had to finalize a few of the specifications. I know that the webmasters of those sites are not extremely diligent in keeping their documentation up to date all the time, but I expect that the Progress Rail site will be updated EVENTUALLY to reflect the new documentation that has been released via the EMD site.
 #1156456  by Bright Star

For locos that operate between fixed points on a predictable schedule, the maintenance of urea levels on the locos shouldn't be an issue. As to the cost of the material, who knows ?

To my eyes, the way PR/EMD markets their products appears to be...'wacky.' There are the traditional EMD products marketed as such-there are Cat-engined,reconfigured EMD road units marketed as PR...and there is also a Cat/KATO equipped version of an EMD export design being built for Tazmania In Patterson, GA.

What does one expect-given that the current EMD senior management depth of experience with locomotives... concerned scrapping them for salvage.

BS