Railroad Forums 

• BNSF TO RETIRE SD75M's?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1138640  by ScotCP356

Couple days ago or maybe a week or 2 ago, I heard that BNSF retired all their 76 SD75M's. Now to me it's interesting, Why would BNSF retire the SD75M's? What is the reasoning behind this decision? Some of information would be great!!
 #1138701  by Allen Hazen

I have NO specific information. A few generalities occur, however.
--They were built in 1995, and (at least initially) were in high-mileage service (think: Santa Fe main line): lots of locomotives have lasted longer, but 15 years is conventionally stated as a lifetime for diesels in main-line service.
--They were the first EMDs to have the 16-710 rated at more than 4,000 hp: 4,300 is now standard, but maybe there were issues with the early versions?
--DC traction motors. BNSF has lots of C44-9W (and ES44DC), but they have the good GE 752 and not wimpy EMD traction motors (grin!). BN was the first big railroad to go for AC traction motors in a big way, and in the past few years seem to have decided that four AC motors are better than six DC for their mainline non-coal trains. So maybe they see the SD75 as representing a technology they would like to phase out?
 #1138776  by AVR Mark

Maybe the SD75s are fine locomotives. I suspect that the fact that they are being retired now has to do with the way that they were originally financed. ATSF used to lease some locomotives while others were bought outright. The leased units always seemed to go away much sooner than the purchased ones. Another thing to consider is that the buyout price from the lease might be higher than BNSF wants to pay for locomotives that probably will need to be rebuilt in the near future. Also if they are rebuilt they will need to meet a higher emission standard than they originally did. From what I have read the units being returned to leaser are the SD75Ms and not the SD75i (isolated cab) units (at least so far).

Mark
 #1139133  by JayBee

The 51 SD75Ms which were the last new locomotives received by AT&SF before the merger are being returned at the end of their lease from Bank of America. They are being sent to NRE at Silvis, IL until BofA decides what to do with them. The remaining SD75Ms and SD75Is are in storage on BNSF until their leases expire.
 #1139157  by ScotCP356

Thanks guys for the information!! The SD75M's if I remember right, on the ATSF, leads the hottest trains on the mainline when the Santa Fe was still around. But they could been good units on the coal trains out in Wyoming or leading mix freights in So. Cal. But we should see what BNSF would do with these units.
 #1139256  by mp15ac

Perhaps the reason to retire the SD75M's and SD75I's is that the leasing company can still get more money for them on the used locomotive market. Perhaps CN may want them since they also have SD75M's.

Stuart
 #1140215  by Firstout

Allen Hazen wrote:I have NO specific information. A few generalities occur, however.
--They were built in 1995, and (at least initially) were in high-mileage service (think: Santa Fe main line): lots of locomotives have lasted longer, but 15 years is conventionally stated as a lifetime for diesels in main-line service.
Hopefully the next ones to go are the old C44's (600-700, 1000's) They were built around the same time as the 75's IIRC
 #1140340  by JayBee

ScotCP356 wrote:I highly doubt they will retire the C44's
All the ex-Santa Fe 600 class of Dash-9s are in storage and have been for nearly a year, unless there is a major increase in traffic, they will never operate as BNSF locomotives again.
 #1140349  by MEC407

As shocking as it may seem, those early Dash 9s are almost 20 years old. I'm sure they could benefit from a good overhaul at this point.
 #1140462  by Firstout

JayBee wrote:
ScotCP356 wrote:I highly doubt they will retire the C44's
All the ex-Santa Fe 600 class of Dash-9s are in storage and have been for nearly a year, unless there is a major increase in traffic, they will never operate as BNSF locomotives again.
Had one on my train a few weeks ago. Trailing unit, but on it nonetheless.
 #1269824  by ScotCP356

Probably mostly everybody knows this but it's news to me! What I am hearing is that BNSF is bringing back the EMD SD75M's and SD75I's! Which is nice to see!! I have seen some now on the oil trains through New York state on the CSX line!!

-Scott