Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1135168  by doepack

Building dated to 1925, when today's CUS opened for business, and operated by the Chicago Union Station Company, then Amtrak. Since the interlocking project completed a few years ago, it has stood disused, and slated for demolition. It now appears the fateful day has arrived...
 #1135543  by Tadman

I noticed that pic yesterday online, I was unaware they were going to tear it down. I always wondered if there was anybody in that tower when I stand on the Lake Street bridge and watch trains go by. I've got a meeting tomorrow AM at Northwestern Station, I'll see if I can get a few pics on my way past.
 #1135653  by Milwaukee_F40C

It looked clean and taken care of, not like something they would tear down. I thought it would be around a while when I passed by last summer, thinking the block to the south would be developed before this spot. I don't even remember if I took pictures of it since I was in a hurry, but I made a mental note to go back.
 #1136247  by Tadman

thinking the block to the south would be developed before this spot
Funny you mention that - I walked past today. There were plenty of Amtrak trucks parked in said block to the south, and I was wondering if they were going to start a project there. The parking lot on Canal was also fenced off, as if a development is starting there, too.
 #1136452  by MisterUptempo

Tadman wrote:Funny you mention that - I walked past today. There were plenty of Amtrak trucks parked in said block to the south, and I was wondering if they were going to start a project there. The parking lot on Canal was also fenced off, as if a development is starting there, too.
There is, in fact, a new project being developed on the site. It is named River Point; its official address will be 444 West Lake Street. It is currently slated to be 45 floors, with a total height of 650 feet, although the developer, Hines, has suggested that it may grow taller, if needs dictate. The website for the project is as follows:

http://www.chicagoriverpoint.com/

The current work is to construct a deck over the tracks, upon which the building will be built. The deck will also have a plaza that will look out over the river. Unfortunately, the tower was in the way. I don't know whether the possibility of moving the tower was ever seriously considered.
 #1136643  by Milwaukee_F40C

The building will be nice if it compliments 333 Wacker across the river, although I haven't liked every angle of concepts I have been seeing. There is a combination of weird shapes and features that don't look right to me, although there are variations in the conceptual images so hopefully that will be toned down. It is near to the original Wolf Point which was the west bank of the river. The plaza might at least establish some significance of this spot again and maybe the building won't terribly prevent some of the views that were possible down the river. I think it would have been nice to work Lake Street Tower in some way in to the plaza design even if it ad to be moved, modified, added on to, or maybe raised. There would have been plenty of room for it in some form.
 #1139426  by Otto Vondrak

doepack wrote:Building dated to 1925, when today's CUS opened for business, and operated by the Chicago Union Station Company, then Amtrak. Since the interlocking project completed a few years ago, it has stood disused, and slated for demolition. It now appears the fateful day has arrived...
@#$*&(@#$, I didn't know they were going to tear it down! $(%*@#$%!! double #$@%($#@&!!

-otto-
 #1139551  by JamesT4

Guessing that since the Lake Street tower is gone construction is going to begin this spring or summer, it caught me off suprise , hopefully get down there a few more times before the construction starts.

Nice building, but a good railfan spot that will be disappearing.

Photos like this will disappear.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jttjr/5319 ... 460254117/
 #1146689  by trainfan

doepack wrote:Building dated to 1925, when today's CUS opened for business, and operated by the Chicago Union Station Company, then Amtrak. Since the interlocking project completed a few years ago, it has stood disused, and slated for demolition. It now appears the fateful day has arrived...
I'm all for progress, but I hate to see historical buildings torn down. Too bad they couldn't have moved it.
Last edited by trainfan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1146695  by Jersey_Mike

trainfan wrote:
doepack wrote:Building dated to 1925, when today's CUS opened for business, and operated by the Chicago Union Station Company, then Amtrak. Since the interlocking project completed a few years ago, it has stood disused, and slated for demolition. It now appears the fateful day has finally arrived...
I'm all for progress, but I hate to see historical buildings torn down. Too bad they couldn't have moved it.
They could have built around it like they did with Jackson Street Tower...which is still there BTW, inside the Post Office.
 #1146704  by Tadman

Want to bet that this construction project gets about as far as the Chicago Spire?
This building is 45 floors, or under half that of the Sears. They're pretty good about getting buildings up around here, and the former parking lot is already fenced off and being dug up. I wouldn't count on such a fiasco in this case. The spire was not only a bit of a hard sell due to the parameters, but the 2008 credit crisis took a toll, too.
 #1146827  by EricL

Jersey_Mike wrote:
trainfan wrote:
doepack wrote:Building dated to 1925, when today's CUS opened for business, and operated by the Chicago Union Station Company, then Amtrak. Since the interlocking project completed a few years ago, it has stood disused, and slated for demolition. It now appears the fateful day has finally arrived...
They could have built around it like they did with Jackson Street Tower...which is still there BTW, inside the Post Office.
As you might be aware, the fact that Harrison tower remains is mostly due to an operational issue at the time of the post office construction: that is, the tower was still IN USE. That wasn't supposed to be the original plan, but that's how it went, and the (now really really dark) tower in fact remained in service for a few more years afterward.

It's interesting going up there today... there are still a few light bulbs barely burning... and if one stands outside the structure (between the tower and the post office), he is liable to find himself rightly freaked out by loud, yet muffled voices; before realizing that they were simply coming from the P.O.'s P.A. system....