Railroad Forums 

• Yadkin Valley Railroad

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1126555  by NYCS

After a recent visit to Winston-Salem and touring the areas north to towns including Mount Airy, I've become intrigued with the Yadkin Valley Railroad. After some cursory research, I've got a basic understanding of who the railroad is but I can't find any online resources that would give me more detailed, in-depth information on this operation. I'm wondering what kind of industries the railroad serves, and in what towns? Are there small industries in towns spread all along the line (if so, who are they, what do they receive or ship out, and what towns are they in?) or is there one major customer that justifies the railroad's existence? Does the YVRR export any commodities out of the area to other parts of the country? How often do the trains run on the line to Mount Airy?

Any overview that anyone familiar with this operation can offer me would be greatly appreciated. Particularly, I'm interested in the industries YVRR serves and in what towns they are located. This way I can create a "check list" for my next visit to the area. That being said, does anyone have a comprehensive list of industries (customer names and towns) served by the YVRR? Any other information I should know about to help me better understand this shortline? Thanks!
 #1139332  by jsncrso

YVRR interchanges with NS in Winston Salem. Their shop is located in Rural hall, and you can usually see several engines there. They have two branches from there...the one that goes to Mt. Airy and another longer one that goes to Wilkesboro (which serves more industry). You best bet is to get on Google Earth and look for spurs. I can't remember where, or which line, but there's a park where the line crosses which makes for good railfanning. Their abandoned ROW to Walnut Cove is also easily made out. That's about all I can remember.
 #1168511  by tvcigar

A major customer for the Yadkin Valley is the Tyson Foods feed mill in Roaring River, NC. Roaring River is a town a few miles East of Wilkesboro.
 #1170666  by frank754

The tracks end in Wilkesboro just short of the station, which is still standing, and a few of the crossings are paved over. Just east of the city is a very long and very old former Lowes warehouse once served by the railroad (on River Road/Liberty Grove Church Rd), the tracks through there are overgrown with weeds and small trees, but I do recall seeing some cars in storage along there. Last time I've been there was over 3 years ago.
 #1172115  by Ron S.

Does the YVRR have any kind of operating schedule? Curious as to how often they run to Mt. Airy. Same for Wilkesboro.