Railroad Forums 

• Official SIRR Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#746304  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Sirsonic wrote:The SIRY is currently being used only for car storage. The M&E accesses the line from Bayway (Linden) only on an irregular basis.
Thanks for the info!! Do you know if the M&E moves come close to or right by the Cranford RVL station??? Thinkin' I might scout there for photo ops!!
 #746494  by Sirsonic

It seems that the M&E generally shoves the cars out when they bring anything out. Either way, they do not go past the South Ave grade crossing on the SIRY which is a few hundred feet from the connection of the SIRY to the CR Garwood Industrial (the freight track that runs by Cranford station). So, in answer to your question, no, they don't get anywhere near Cranford station.
 #782733  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Sirsonic wrote:It seems that the M&E generally shoves the cars out when they bring anything out. Either way, they do not go past the South Ave grade crossing on the SIRY which is a few hundred feet from the connection of the SIRY to the CR Garwood Industrial (the freight track that runs by Cranford station). So, in answer to your question, no, they don't get anywhere near Cranford station.
Damn, that sucks!!! Thanks for the info!! :-)
 #1114883  by Conrail Blue

I noticed that there are hopper cars parked on the SIRR deadline in Roselle by south ave. When were these moved there and are more going to be stored there? Reason I ask is because I just moved my business there. My building is right next to the tracks and I would like to get a photo of the M&E train.
 #1115126  by Sirsonic

There should be no cars on the SIRY west of the bridge over Amtrak. The M&E no longer has any authority to operate on the SIRY. Their contract to operate it expired and was not renewed.
 #1115361  by umtrr-author

Who, if any third party, is operating it now?

I did notice last trip down to NJ that there is a fence across the tracks just east of the bridge over US 1-9 and the ramp to 278 East.

There were centerflows parked right on the "main line" just about up to that fence.
 #1115371  by Conrail Blue

Within the last two days, empty hopper cars from bayway were dropped off on the tracks ending at South Ave. I'd like to know if more are coming so I can catch the drop off.
 #1139997  by michaelk

Conrail Blue wrote:Within the last two days, empty hopper cars from bayway were dropped off on the tracks ending at South Ave. I'd like to know if more are coming so I can catch the drop off.
The cars where dropped In the Roselle Cranford area?
 #1250298  by BigDell

Was there ever a resolution to this? Is anything "on the tracks" these days???

Re:

#1252165  by MNR's #1 Conductor

cjl330 wrote:In addition to the new connection to the Chemical Coast, the original track was rebuilt also. There is now a switch west of AK drawbridge. One lead goes to the new connection, which is a curved ramp that goes down to the Chem Coast. The other lead goes to the former Staten Island Railway line. Heading west on the Staten Island line (toward Linden - Roselle - Cranford) there is one obstacle, the wooden trestle. According to the last plans I had seen, it will eventually be demolished, and filled in.
The Chemical Coast/SIR connection next to the NJ Turnpike is known as CP RALPH.
 #1256351  by BigDell

cjl330 wrote:
In addition to the new connection to the Chemical Coast, the original track was rebuilt also. There is now a switch west of AK drawbridge. One lead goes to the new connection, which is a curved ramp that goes down to the Chem Coast. The other lead goes to the former Staten Island Railway line. Heading west on the Staten Island line (toward Linden - Roselle - Cranford) there is one obstacle, the wooden trestle. According to the last plans I had seen, it will eventually be demolished, and filled in.

The Chemical Coast/SIR connection next to the NJ Turnpike is known as CP RALPH.

Slightly confused...... Although the plan appears to be dead running through the old SI line to Cranford, can the trains actually make the connection? Is the line complete from the switch off the bridge? WHat exactly is the wooden trestle blocking, the actual trackage? Or is that part of it?
Thanks...