Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#1101090  by 3rdrail

Beautiful ! I'll bet that that sign hung over their main office door wherever that was. It's very possible that a search may show it in a photograph. Rob is correct that it's always a good idea to watch out for forgeries. I can't see any signs of that here. The wooden edge is typical of signs of the correct era. One thing that I've noticed regarding forgeries that I don't see here is that from what I've seen, forgerers like to "age" sections of a sign, medallion, etc. on areas of the item that don't detract from clearly understood lettering or obscure it's "identity" in any way. Often, you will see "aging" on corners as a result. I don't see that here. Best tests for it being a fake, Rob are that it shouldn't smell like paint - that should have been gone 100 years ago, looking for old construction and material, and up close and personal with a magnifying glass, looking for fresh rub marks. This is a valuable sign at I'm sure was gotten for a hefty price, so we have every right to look at it with a critical eye. Looks ok to me by photo. Congratulations, Seashore. That will look great in the Visitor's Center ! (Jack - Keep your Pabst can off the sign !)
 #1101186  by MBTA3247

I've heard that O.R. Cummings has been digging through his Atlantic Shore Line archives ever since this sign was found in the hopes of finding a photo of sign in its original location.
 #1101190  by 3rdrail

If there's a man to find it, it's him. I don't even look at his book titles any more. If it's got his name on it, I buy it !
 #1102460  by MBTA3247

Photos from the night photo session are here (scroll to the bottom of the page)
 #1108959  by Gerry6309

Car 1700 out at night in November! Who paid the Murphy Insurance premium on that one?!!

In any event the results look good. Did anyone try to light the advertising signs? At least one is known to work.
 #1201453  by BandM4266

On Saturday Aug 3rd the museum has a new event! Vintage costume and ice cream social.
For anyone to show up in a costume aimed at the trolley heydays (1900/1939) through to 1980,s will get 1/2 off admission! Arundel ice cream will be at the museum to serve up some vintage flavors
 #1201483  by 3rdrail

If I show up wearing my "Panto-Cap", will I get a discount...or even better, paid for my cameo ? I could sit in an open streetcar and wave (union rules prohibit longer than 40 minutes out of every hour, minimum 4 hours at Time plus 1/2 standard rate, each second after the hour is considered a full hour). Additionally, I must be fed and suitably refreshed with liquid beveridges of my choice, all food and beveridges to be comparable to those served at the finest restaurants. (I like Filet Mignon, Oysters, Veal a la Cacciatorre, accompanied by Moxie, Perrier Sparkling Water, and Anchor Steam Beer).

See you at Highland Barn !!!

#1279704  by MEC407

The Portland Press Herald produced a nice little video highlighting operations at Seashore Trolley Museum.

You can view it here: http://www.pressherald.com/media/video/ ... ey-museum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1280451  by jrc520

Not a lot of progress that I could see today, I know a lot of work lately has been prep work for the 75th parade that was today.
 #1280619  by octr202

The trackless trolley overhead has not been expanded in recent years. Recently much of the focus has been on carbarn improvements (Highwood Barn most visibly - new doors, emergency exit, etc, but also work on Riverside and the "unseen" barns in back) and also trackwork. There's also been a big expansion of the wifi network to support new interactive kiosks for visitors, which are being installed around the campus.

Thanks to the hard, hard work of a lot of our members, the 75th celebration and parade seems to have gone off very well. I spent much of it running around behind the scenes from one area to another, but there was a good sized crowd. Passenger trips were run with Montreal #2 and Connecticut #838 for the first time in a long time, with trips running until almost 7:00 PM.
 #1297923  by MEC407

Had a nice time at Seashore yesterday on the last day of the season.
Attachments:
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg (202.3 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
IMG_0358.jpg
IMG_0358.jpg (197.64 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
 #1297924  by MEC407

IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg (294.04 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
IMG_0360.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg (205.07 KiB) Viewed 6407 times