Railroad Forums 

• Edaville Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1081093  by number7

Why relocate the mainline to make room for more parking? I would think it that they would want to make the parking lot smaller so that it doesn't look so empty.

Face it, if Blount and Bartholomew felt no need to expand the parking lot by moving the mainline, it doesn't need to be done. It's another one of their stupid ideas. They don't know what to do, they want to do something, and due to a lack of intelligence, common sense, and imagination, not to mention creativity, they seem to come up with the dumbest ideas. The "good idea fairy" seems to be running the place. They need to fight the "good idea fairy."

Yes, I just read "No Easy Day", great book, if you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. Great story.

So, instead of wasting all of this money on what is little more than "make work", the large loop needs to be restored.

Once the loop is restored the signal system needs to be put back in place and designed for 4 or 5 trains at Xmas.

Once that is done, they need to build up their motive power and rolling stock to the point where they have four or 5 trains to run.

I would think that all that would be rather obvious.
 #1081096  by number7

One last thing, all of the displays along the track should not rely on the train for illumination.

A steam generator needs to be installed on the diesel engine and steam should be used to heat the cars.

The Xmas lights on the cars should be as energy efficient as possible and powered by battery charged by alternators or generators connected to the axles of the cars.

Of course, the present ride is so short that they really don't need to bother heating the cars.

The first car should be a combine with the battery system up front and a generator attached to the axle to charge the batteries as the train is moving.

<REDACTED> a few years ago in the "friends of edaville" forum made one of the stupidest comments of all time.

She said that the present ride was only 10 minutes shorter than the ride along the loop. No Shinola Sherlock, what do you expect when you cut the train speed down to nothing. You could make the ride twice as long as the old ride by going down to 2 mph.

Just shows you the mindset down there.

That's the kind of sleaze that they pull, cut the mainline down to 1/3 of what it was, then run the trains at a fraction of the normal speed.

That is not the way to run a legitimate business.
 #1085240  by NRGeep

The 11:10am weather forecast on WBZ am today was sponsored by Edaville, pumping up the upcoming appearance of...drum roll please: Tommy the "steam engine." Whoo hoo!
 #1085251  by Cosmo

NRGeep wrote:drum roll please: Tommy the "steam engine." !
Oh, SHADES of excitement...
 #1085279  by frrc

As I said before, it's all some form of tax write off for the owner..
 #1086075  by number7

Tax writeoff, maybe. I think that based on what Deli has done so far with Edaville he seems to have a strong dislike for anything done by previous owners.

He also seems to be one of those people who would rather do something before thinking about it. Maybe attention deficit disorder.

At any rate, after 2000 they seem to have come in with guns blazing and tore things down and ripped things up without giving any thought to sustainability and the consequences of their ill conceived action.

Mind you, I understand, if I were in charge of Edaville I would probably undo everything that Deli has done and correct it but do it over time and not put myself out of business by spending money without thinking and then end up bankrupt and losing most of the property.
 #1088516  by Jeff Smith

Topic locked. As I always say, I have no horse in this race. I respect the rights of those to their opinions, and their right to express them. But at times, intentionally or not, it crosses a line where it gets personal, or it relates to internal business decisions. Like, love, or hate the decisions, they belong to the operators or trustee of an organization. We have a lot of people on here who know the best way to run a railroad. It's not always consistent with a business for profit. Railroad history is littered with bankruptcies and bad decisions.

Railroad.net makes no representation as to the opinions expressed here. But let's leave names out of it.

As I've said before with other NE operations, museum or tourist threads or the bane of my existence, as much as I love the railroads. PM me if there's some news, but otherwise, Edaville is topic verboten.
Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, traducement, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation a negative or inferior image. This can be also any disparaging statement made by one person about another, which is communicated or published, whether true or false, depending on legal state. In Common Law it is usually a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant).[1]

In common law jurisdictions, slander refers to a malicious, false,[2][not specific enough to verify] and defamatory spoken statement or report, while libel refers to any other form of communication such as written words or images.[3] Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism. Related to defamation is public disclosure of private facts, which arises where one person reveals information that is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person. "Unlike [with] libel, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy."[4][not verified in body]
 #1120771  by boatsmate

I have been wondering if anyone has any iformation on how edaville is doing thsis year?? did they get there ssecond steam engine up and running?? I have not been abe to get there this year. any information would be great

Thakns in advance

Bill
 #1120779  by MEC407

I'm unlocking the topic in order to allow Bill's question to be answered. Folks, please stay on-topic and be civil with your responses. We (Jeff or myself) won't hesitate to re-lock the topic if it gets nasty again. Thanks.
 #1120825  by MaineCoonCat

boatsmate wrote: did they get there ssecond steam engine up and running??
From their Facebook page on November 25th 2012:
On their Facebook page on November 25th, Edaville USA wrote:New Steam Engine (2 photos)
We are having a steam engine built for next year and we will continue to update photos as the project progresses.
Image Image
 #1120837  by frrc

Wonder who is building the boiler? One company comes to mind, Dillon Boiler works out of Fitchburg, MA who has done locomotive boiler work in the past, as has been around since the 1800's...

J
 #1120979  by Mikejf

Interesting to see the firebox before it is in the boiler. Fantastic work.
 #1121288  by bpiche84

frrc wrote:Wonder who is building the boiler? One company comes to mind, Dillon Boiler works out of Fitchburg, MA who has done locomotive boiler work in the past, as has been around since the 1800's...

J
The boiler work is being done up in Boothbay Railway Village by the steam shop up there.
 #1121552  by Cosmo

bpiche84 wrote:
frrc wrote:Wonder who is building the boiler? One company comes to mind, Dillon Boiler works out of Fitchburg, MA who has done locomotive boiler work in the past, as has been around since the 1800's...

J
The boiler work is being done up in Boothbay Railway Village by the steam shop up there.
SWEET!
Then it really WILL be a "MAINE 2'er." The first to run at EDAville in HOW long?
 #1121600  by 3rdrail

I agree. How sweet it is ! In spite of the past, this kind of stuff has to be inspiring and certainly in the right direction. Whoever is in back of this apparent rennaisance, I tip my hat to you. Thank you and keep the ball rolling. (FY ?)