Railroad Forums 

• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#1010671  by CRail

MBTA3247 wrote:Plans exist for extending the trackless overhead, but nothing has actually been done yet.
Nothing could be further from the truth! The grounds in the bus yard have been prepared to hold a loop, and most if not all of the poles have been set. The roadway in front of South Boston and the library has been widened for a loop, and the Museum as been actively securing overhead equipment (switches, hanger parts, wire, and the like) in preparation for installation. To the latest of my knowledge we were waiting on the arrival of another coach with yet more overhead equipment and the accompanying assistance from our trolleybus expert friends from another part of the world.

The timeline of milestones & completion are not set, as the line crew is comprised entirely of volunteers, however the project is certainly well underway!
 #1018454  by MEC407

From this week's York County Coast Star newspaper:
York County Coast Star wrote:The Seashore Trolley Museum has received the 2012 H. Albert Webb Memorial Railroad Preservation Award from the Massachusetts Bay Railroad Enthusiasts, Inc.

The $10,000 grant will pay for key components needed to complete the restoration of former Bay State Street Railway car 4175, a valued part of the museum's operating collection of historic electric railway equipment.

Restoration work on the car, which began in 1985, is expected to be complete in time for its 100th birthday, and Seashore's 75th Anniversary, in 2014.
Read more at: http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/ ... -202160342
 #1034290  by Gilbert B Norman

citystation1848 wrote:Greeting Seashore fans,

I have a favor for those that regularly use Yelp... It was pointed out to be last year that we only have one review on the ratings website and it's not a good one (we only have 1/5 stars). A few people have tried adding newer, more positive experiences, but the website's filter hides in-active users comments.

If you can, write about your experience of the Museum as a visitor. Don't just leave a comment that says "It's a great place to go because they have trolley cars." Make it a meaningful comment please.

Again, this is geared towards Yelp users since those comments won't disappear in a few days.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/seashore-trolle ... nebunkport

Thanks

Matt

NEERHS Webmaster
Although I haven't been near Seashore since the days when Alex Hamilton and John Amlaw ran the place, I would like to address the use of Yelp. It seems to me that comments that "sell" get posted, and the others get buried, are those of the "if it bleeds, it leads" varietal. This means that comments like "it sucks' have a better chance of being displayed than those that wish to praise an establishment.

Case in point; I recently wrote a favorable review of an auto dealership at which I have done business with buying four autos and sixteen years of service to same. I think the dealership is great and wrote a review reflecting that thought. Unfortunately, the dealership had received adverse reviews to the effect of "service stinks" "they won't deal". While who am i to say what others have experienced, I have not had bad experiences there (FWIW, a month ago their trade in offer was better than what KBB called for) and I said so at Yelp. Result; my posting got "the filter" treatment; those of the "it sucks" varietal get displayed.

Finally, since I noted the adverse reviews of the dealership and mine was favorable, I included a disclaiming sentence to the effect "author has no financial connection with the McGrath Automobile Group whatever". The review still got "filtered'.
 #1063655  by CRail

Kennebunk Post's article on the event
Saturday July 7, the Seashore Trolley Museum hosted its Founder’s Day event by bringing out cars that don’t normally get used on a regular basis. About 20 cars were shown off, giving those visiting the ability to see all of what the museum houses for antique trolleys. After the parade was over, those visiting could take rides on each of the cars or visit the museum and its grounds.
 #1063670  by 3rdrail

Amber Carter of the Kennebunk Post wrote:“Today really captured the past,” said Dick Rubin, the muesum’s newest volunteer.

Amber, it's "museum's".
 #1063685  by MEC407

Pfft... newspapers stopped using spell check 10+ years ago. :P

Pretty soon reporters will be filing their stories via their smartphones and we'll be seeing all sorts of hilarious "autocorrect" errors. :wink:
 #1063933  by octr202

The spelling error is one thing, I just hope no one shows up looking for a big yellow line car from Washington, DC. (See the last photo caption.)

Those two aside, the article appears to get most of the rest of the content more right than usual.
 #1077378  by Tom6921

Since it's just over a month away, has there been any discussion about Transit day this October? I'm seriously considering coming out again to Seashore for that.
 #1078250  by Gerry6309

ck4049 wrote:Oh and while I am on here I should point out Member's Day is this Saturday(September 1st).
Members Day 2012 was a great success. The weather was perfect for a late summer day. Everything ran successfully with no mishaps. I saw many members from near and far on the property, including many whom I only knew from the membership list. Everyone I talked to were quite impressed with the appearance of the property and the variety of cars operated. Several cars which ran had been out of service for many years. Open car 303 and Dallas 434 took most of the day off while the following ventured to Talbott Park.

Washington 1304
Cleveland 1227
Chicago 225
Connecticut 1160
Wheeling 639
Atlantic Shore Line 100
Boston 396
Liberty Bell 1030
Sydney 1700
Boston 0622 and 0623

Several of these cars were given a special dispensation to run for the day. The Electric Railroaders' Assn.is visiting tomorrow and a similar operation is planned. And yes, Transit Day will run on the Saturday of Columbus Day Weekend.

C A & E 434 was posed for photographers outside Highwood.
 #1078280  by 3rdrail

Pics ?
 #1078301  by ck4049

I took a bunch that I will try and upload tomorrow. I didnt have too much of a chance to take pictures of the action since I was volunteering.
 #1078308  by 3rdrail

You guys need a "media relations" guy at every event to shoot pics and circulate them on sites like RRN, Facebook, blogs, and neighborhood web sites - that's how you attract visitors and donations. The submarine motto of "run silent, run deep" doesn't quite cut it with trolley museums.