Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#1074520  by bagman

Hi there

I am interested in building a scale model of the Ray Brook station as it was prior to the fire of 1928.

I have done some research via "Google" and have found some interesting information, however what would make my task easier would be some architectural drawings of the station as well as some photos.

Yes, I acknowledge the drawings is a mighty big ask but you never know !

The attached image is what I am looking to buid and is the only one I can find.

Would any of you have information that would be of assistance or can you suggest who I can approach ?

Apologies to the moderators as I had originally posted incorrectly.
Noel Weaver over on the New York Central index page correctly pointed out to me that the NYC purchased the line from the D&H in the 1940's.

Of course more than willing to cover costs etc.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Attachments:
Ray Brook Station.jpg
Ray Brook Station.jpg (184.03 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
 #1075451  by Noel Weaver

There were at least two books published that consist of very interesting coverage of railroading in the Adirondacks:
First one is "Railroads of the Adirondacks A History" by Michael Kudish which dates to 1996. There are great track diagrams and histories although there are no floor plans of buildings. Apparently according to this book the station pictured was replaced sometime later on by a stone structure, this occurred when the original station burned in 1928.
Second one is "Fairy Tale Railroad" by Henry kA. Harter which dates back to 1978/1980 (my copy 1980). This book deals primarily with the Adirondack Division of the New York Central and has a lot of interesting material and information.
Both of these books are most likely out of print but can probably be found on e-bay or through a second hand book dealer. Both of them have a lot of interesting reading in them and adding them would be well worth your trouble. I have read and re-read both of them many times through the years and this topic has enticed me to dig them out again for further review. You might find them in a rural store somewhere in the Adirondacks or maybe a library or museum in that neck of the woods too.
Noel Weaver
 #1075602  by bagman

Hi Noel

Thank you for replying.

Yes, I have both those books including the seperate volume "Where Did The Tracks Go In The Central Adirondacks".

The Michael Kurdish books in particular are very helpful.

Using the researchers friend "Google" I have also come across another book
"North Elba and Whiteface Mountain" by Dean Stansfield which has a photo of Ray Brook station, but from a different angle to the one I posted originally .

Suffice to say it's on order !

cheers